arrow groups

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by ShaneB22, May 19, 2015.

1. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Okay guys, I've got another question. My group at 30 yards is about 4.5" but my group at 40 yards is about 3". Would anyone know what's happening? I don't have any clearance issues, but I haven't got to add a twist out my left yoke and take one out of my right yoke because I don't have access to a press yet, I'm not sure that would be the cause though.

2. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How many groups did you shoot?

3. ShaneB22

Dislikes Received:
    I shot 4 groups at 30 and 6 at 40 in 4 arrow groups earlier today. All of my pins are green so it's not a starburst from a red pin that I read about on AT.

4. Worzeth

Worzeth Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It could be your eye sight. I'm not saying your sight is bad but all people see depth and distance different. I also shoot my 40's better than my 30's with perfect 20/20 but one time a few yrs ago at deer camp we were making fun of my friend and his coke bottle glasses and wondered how he could shoot with them. Well for the hell of it I put them on and shot horrible at 20 & 40 but the best groups I ever shot at 30's. It freaked me out I've never needed glasses and the next time I went to the Dr. I asked him about it and he explain we all have a different depth perception because of the curve or shape of our eyes and like finger prints. Everyone's is different. So like me it might be something you just can't fix.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  5. jeremy421

jeremy421 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    u might be taking the closer shots for granted. shooting further away you concentrate harder. u know

6. Longstriker

Longstriker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    MissionBlaze, can you put four arrows in a pie plate from sixty yards? The reason I ask is because from repetitive practice sometimes I can get locked in at a certain range and I neglect varying my practice distances. Does this make any sense to you? For me some days I can shoot lights out at 50 and can't find the target at 20. Just sayin'.

7. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I don't think it's anything to do with equipment

8. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's probably mental and or form. Take your time and focus really well through the shot. Create a sequence and repeat it. Don't shoot unless all steps are completed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. ShaneB22

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think I do. I shoot at least 2 groups at each distance a day, except at 40 and 50 yards then I shoot like 4 or more groups. I would shoot farther but I only have 3 pins right now.

10. ShaneB22

Dislikes Received:
    I've been shooting a bit more and I added a half turn to my limbs. Now that I can shoot with my first pin I can get a 2-3" group at 30. I think it was because my pins are so close and having to use the middle one at 30 was blocking my target just a little to much. I'm so rusty any more either I shot a group the size of a poker chip at 40 yards. Maybe if I build up the strength to consistently shoot 70lbs I could shoot all they way out to 40 with my top pin and be able to practice at 60 yards.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  11. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot best at 20 but ironically I actually shoot better at 40 than I do at 30 too. I've never been able to figure it out other than I am concentrating harder at 40 like others said. What's crappy when you think about it, you should be concentrating the same on every shot...something I really have to work on.

12. ShaneB22

Dislikes Received:
    Another question but didn't feel the need to make a new thread. I made an adjustment to my sight so I hit dead on at 20 and now I have something I've never seen. 1st pin 20 yards, 2nd pin 30 and 40 yards dead on, and my 3rd pin 50 yards. I can shoot both 30 and 40 yards with my second pin, usually it's 20-30 with my fisrt. I happy with it because I can shoot good groups to 50 yards consistently, just a little confused.

13. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you have no clearance issues then it could be related to center shot. If your arrows are not coming out straight they will porpoise until they stabilize. So at 30 they are still correcting will at 40 they are more stable. that could also explain the 30 and 40 pins.

Maybe try broadhead tuning with a good fixed blade. That will tell you if you have center shot issues

14. Treestandsniper

Treestandsniper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That is odd. Perhaps your bow is set with a low nock or a high rest, or a combination of both. I'm thinking that at 20-30 an arrow is fired very close to perpendicular to the target and starts to drop off (at around 290 fps) fairly rapidly past 30.

If your arrow is leaving the bow at a high angle, the arc may be tuned to 40 yards, while your pin is adjusted up to compensate for the high arc. If these assumptions are correct, there would be a large difference in arrow flight with the 20 and 30 pins, due to the difference in time the arrow has to travel the upward leg of the arc.

15. Treestandsniper

Dislikes Received:
    One indication of a high rest would be the sight set near the max upward travel.

16. Treestandsniper

Dislikes Received:
    That is odd. Perhaps your bow is set with a low nock or a high rest, or a combination of both. I'm thinking that at 20-30 an arrow is fired very close to perpendicular to the target and starts to drop off (at around 290 fps) fairly rapidly past 30.

If your arrow is leaving the bow at a high angle, the arc may be tuned to 40 yards, while your pin is adjusted up to compensate for the high arc. If these assumptions are correct, there would be a large difference in arrow flight with the 20 and 30 pins, due to the difference in time the arrow has to travel the upward leg of the arc.