Headlamp

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by grommel, May 18, 2015.

1. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hi guys and gals. Sorry for the question that I bet has been posted 100 times, but what do you guys think is the best and brightest headlamp out there? Gotta pick one up this spring, tired of using the mag lights!! Thanks for your answers!!

2. bigfootcali

bigfootcali Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would check out the fenix brand, I have a fenix headlamp that I've had a couple years that I use for work and let me tell in the middle of the woods that light is bright and with multiple settings from low to turbo. The battery life is real good too. I would check them out well worth the investment.

3. okie_flinger

okie_flinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's been a crappy Monday, so here ya go:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=brightest+headlamp

I have 3 of this one:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/34580076?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227024510737&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40972201952&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78914775152&veh=sem

I have one I keep in my truck, one I keep in my pack and one I keep at home. Lumens rating wise it's not very 'bright' but I've never had any issues with it. it seems bright enough for these old eyes. it's a pain when I have to use any type of non-head mounted illumination now - hands-free working is the way it should be. no more - 'hey, can you hold this light for me?'

4. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  5. bigfootcali

Dislikes Received:
    I have used the energizer brand and while it's not expensive I wouldn't use out in the woods for hunting or whatever it may be, the battery life is short and is not that bright. The energizer brand would be good for around the house or if you had one in your truck you could use it to change a tire or what not.

6. bigfootcali

Dislikes Received:
    There are so many brands of headlamps some good some bad but in the end its all personal preference and what your needs and budget are.

7. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Brightest isn't necessarily the "best" when it comes to hunting headlamps. I want a green light option most importantly. Been using a Browning for about 6 years, I think it cost $40.

Granted I want super bright light when tracking blood, and in some other circumstances, and I have a handheld for that. But when I'm walking out to my stand in the dark I don't need to illuminate the entire field.

8. bigfootcali

Dislikes Received:
    I think it depends on the part of the country your in I know out west were it can be rugged and steep and nasty terrain at times I want something bright to see were your going, also if your looking for yourgame it could end up down the bottom of a ravine or somthing like that.

9. okie_flinger

okie_flinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've never had an issue with short battery life and I have used this model for years. maybe my expectation are not very high. if it puts out light and helps me get the job done, that's what I am after. I notice it going dim, I change the batteries. I would say I get several hours of use from a set of batteries. I certainly don't expect more than that.

That being said, 90% of he time I am going to/from the stand with no light anyway. I use them for general use all the time, not just for hunting.

I've had more expensive headlights - petzel, et al, and I might be more impressed with them today if I had one...

http://www.petzl.com/en/Sport/SPECIALIZED-headlamps/TACTIKKA-PLUSRGB?l=US#.VVpRok3bKM8

10. bigfootcali

Dislikes Received:
    I guess my expectations are high when it comes to headlamps cause what I use them for. I just was giving my opinion on the energizer brand based on my past experience with them. I looked into petzel and similar brands but the fenix stood out and have been very impressed with it.

11. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  12. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use the energizer LED headlamp from lowes/walmart. Battery life has lasted all season for me. For tracking at night I prefer a lantern over a flashlight.

13. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have gone through a bunch of cheap ones, the ones worth keeping for me so far have been a Fenix and Black Diamond

14. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  15. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys for all of your input, much appreciated.