Truck owners and brand loyalty.

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by MGH_PA, May 18, 2015.

1. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    What is it about the truck owner demographic that causes them to be so rabid? I don't get it.

I'm not really loyal to any one brand. I've only ever owned two vehicles - a 96 Toyota Tacoma and my 2005 Toyota Tacoma. Both have served me very well, so Toyota is where I would start my next search. However, I also really like the things Ford is doing. I don't really like the looks of Dodge or GMC trucks, but I wouldn't dismiss them as garbage for that reason alone.

I'm considering purchasing a larger truck in the near future, and online staff reviews are pretty biased in the automotive world so you have to take those with a grain of salt. Then doing searches through various automotive forums simply result in one brand being the "best" and all others are crap.

Now if I can overcome my cheapness and the joy of not having truck payments for the past 6 years, I will test drive thoroughly, but trying to find unbiased opinions in the auto world is hard to come by.

At least with archery, we still have plenty of people telling those seeking advice to go shoot as many as possible. Granted, there are loyalists in the archery world, but it seems that there aren't many who truly go into buying a vehicle with an open mind.

Am I just crazy? What gives? Why so much pride in a depreciating product?

2. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I own a '09 Chevy Silverado and I am pretty happy with it but I am not dedicated to that brand of truck for life. In 5 or 6 more years when I am ready for a new truck I will test several brands to see which one I like driving.

Just like bows, right now I have a bowtech but next year when I am ready to buy a new bow an Elite may feel the best or hell even a Mathews.

3. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've always been a Ford truck guy. I've had no reason NOT to like a Ford. I've driven chevy trucks and every time I drive one I don't care for the feel of it. I'm just used to Ford's I guess. It's really no rip on a Chevy either. I've driven a few Dodge trucks and If I were to ever try out a new brand Dodge would definitely be the one. As for cars I really have no loyalty.

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I really like my Ford pickup, that being said it is paid, insured, and repairs paid for by my employer. I like that more than any brand name.

5. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Because Mopars suck and fords aren't much better. Hahahaha!

Actually, we have:
    -a Ford f250 with v10 triton
    -a Chevy k1500 with 6l vortec
    -a jeep yj with a weak four banger
    -a mitsubishi endeavor. The Manvan. Now called The Enterprise.. Because it has gone where no manvan has gone before.
    -a Toyota prius V .

To round out our brand loyalty, we have a Honda Atv, a yamaha outboard, and a kawasaki motor on the pusher fan.

In seriousness, when I was new truck shopping back in 2000 I asked my brother who was a certified Ford mechanic, what truck to buy and he said "buy a Chevy." So I did.

6. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    That's funny:D

I've asked a few people on here and a few friends locally their opinions and it helps some for sure.

In reality, I made a good decision with my buy last time around, but I should have just bought a truck with a little more room the first time around and I wouldn't even have to be considering this right now or for a long time. I've had it since 2007, and thought maybe I would just drive it until it died. Maybe I still will.

7. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not brand loyal at all. I'll buy whatever I think is the best vehicle for me at the time. I've owned both Ford and Chevy pick-ups. I'm considering a Toyota Tacoma for my next one.

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm pretty much a Ford guy. We have owned lots of Fords and have had very little real issues with them. Off the top of my head, we have owned Ford Ranger, Taurus, Focus, Exporer Sport, and two F150's. I'm not anti any other brand, but I'm fairly loyal to Ford because they have never really let me down with quality issues.

That, and they are not part of the Government Motors Company.

9. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm partial to Ford F-150s but mainly because of the looks over actual mechanical reasons...

I'm only 24 but have traded up/down vehicles rather frequently over the past 8-9 years.

2001 GMC Sierra 1500
    2006 Ford-F150
    2006 Ford-F250 6.0
    2005 Toyota Camry
    2004 Ford F-150

and now a 2013 Toyota Tacoma 4x4... I plan to drive this one for as long as I remain in Alaska. We leave in 7 days for the road trip north and once there won't be accumulating miles all that quickly. Whether it is a 3 year stay, or 10 years... I'll be rocking the Tacoma. If/When I ever leave, I'll sell the truck there and buy a newer full sized crew cab truck at that time wherever I end up at. I guess reviewing the list, I'm due for a Dodge this go around. haha

10. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck with the move! That truck will be perfect up there. I've been very happy with mine. It just turns over day in, day out. No problems *knock on wood.*

11. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not trying to derail the thread but have you Tacoma guys taken in your truck for the frame rust inspection? Mine passed or so they said and just sprayed the undercoating on the frame. More than likely masking the problem.

For bigger trucks, I like the F150's and the Tundra's but I'm gonna drive the tacoma until it dies. 165K miles at this point and zero issues.

12. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd have to say I'm pretty brand loyal to Ford. There is some bias as my grandfather retired from there and I get a pretty sweet discount if I buy new.
    However, I've owned many GM and a few dodge. They have just never stayed together as good as my fords have.

I think the biggest is how the vehicle fits you. I hate the way chevy trucks sit, both inside and out. I bet if i drove one long enough I would get a feel for it, but in the times I have driven them, I didn't like them.

13. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I saw a sticker on a Dodge yesterday that read, "I'd rather be cumming than stroking". REally? Why do people think that is so cool? It is not even creative.

14. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I plan to speak to them about it on June 1st when we go in for scheduled service on my wife's vehicle. I've had the letter for a while, but in case I was one of the unlucky one's I didn't want a loaner vehicle over the winter.

Mine is actually not great (my rust), but I'm assuming since there's not any perforations, that they will just coat it, too.

How clean of a job did they do? I saw a few people complaining about getting overspray on everything.

15. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not brand loyal. But my grandpa and my dad are ford guys so I've come to like ford for probably an obvious reason. But living with someone who constantly rips ford and even dodge by calling them a piece of sh!t every time he sees one, kinda gets annoying since half the time the other trucks are a lot nicer than his chevy since it's not in great condition. He's the same way with Mathews bows too. That I don't mind though because it's better than his alpine.

16. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I like Chevy and Ford, owned them both. I have a 2013 Chevy today, love it.

I had a 2010 Dodge Ram, but it like to go for rides on back of tow trucks to much.

17. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Uh yeah, they did a crappy job. I had overspray on my fenders and tailgate. I took it back the next day and made them wash it. It will drip for several days after they spray it. Thankfully I had enough foresight to park outside instead inside our garage.

18. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    They must not have many rednecks up that way because that sticker is pretty common down here. Usually coupled with a set of chrome balls hanging off the bumper hitch.

19. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The balls from the trailer hitch could possibly be the worst automotive trend ever.

20. Skywalker

Dislikes Received: