Night hunting gear

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by wl704, May 18, 2015.

1. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Been thinking about night hunting lately for predators. I've seen various setups from super expensive specialty gear to custom rigs (e.g IR lights, monocles, video cams hacked to remove filters, etc).

What have you learned, what works/doesn't, any other insights you can share?

TIA

2. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Are you talking about hunting with a bow or gun and I'm assuming you're talking about yotes?
    For a gun all we do is lay out some bait and call them in with a fox pro and use my buddies night vision scope on his ar.

For a bow we use a blind and set up some bait close by and call them in. When they get there, one person draws back then the other flicks on a spot light. Also have hunted out of a stand with bait in front. We have way too many coyotes

3. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, yotes. Been thinking both gun and bow.

What I've read tells me price and quality are all over the map for scopes, monocles, etc.

I'd rather not waste $ on crap on the other hand I can't bring my self to buy niche gear that breaks the bank...

4. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yep theres something in every price range but you get what you pay for. Optics aren't the place to go cheap in my opinion.