Antler King Trophy Clover Mix

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Spear, May 17, 2015.

1. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    All I can say is wow! I know what products I will be using from now on. I planted this plot about 6 weeks ago, no till, no starter fertilizer, and it gets maybe an hour of sunlight at most now that the canopy has filled in. All I did was rake away the leaves, spread the seeds with a seed spreader and then raked over them again. The soil was loose and just years of decomposed leaves. It's a highly traveled lane that the deer use so I doubled the size of it from last year. It weaves through the trees and branches out in a few spots and it's almost ankle high. Now I'm thinking of expanding it even more, it's hard to argue with the results with such little effort.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    looks good but what is the "mix" ?.

3. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's mostly a mix of 4 varieties of clover but they also add some chicory and rapeseed.

4. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Very cool. Good luck with it

5. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I planted a 1/2 acre of that last fall and it sprouted good but didn't look promising. This spring I went out and it blew up, I fertilizered with 6/24/24 waited a week then mowed it all and it's very lush and tall. Prob gonna mow again in s few week. The mowing helped with the weed competition also. Great product for sure.

6. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I've read in many reviews that the second year yield makes tremendous gains. This clover mix is supposed to last 5-6 years and get about 30 inches high. If it gets shin high for me and they eat it I will be happy. No till, no starter fertilizer, and minimal sunlight and it's doing fairly well thus far so I can't complain. I added some 10-10-10 granular because it's what I could find on sale. If it does anything promising by summer then I plan on using the liquid Jolt fertilizer made by Antler King next spring and see how it goes.

7. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the post.
    Ya clover on its second year really takes off. You guys got the right ideas with mowing and fertilizer. Ideally if you could find a 0-0-60.
    Keep us updated and any questions drop me a message or post back.
    Thanks,
    Jake

8. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How low should I mow it and when? I've never planted a perennial plot before and getting even a push mower back there will be a task so any tips you can provide will be much appreciated.

9. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How big is the plot? Push mower might be too low.
    I would sooner use a weed Wacker over a push mower.
    I seen push mowers modified to be higher but safety is a big concern then.
    Mow it when it gets 12-16 inch's high. I like to mow my clover plot in strips as then it is always at different stages of growth and attractiveness.
    I only got my zero turn mower set all the way up(6inchs).

My clover plot lasted 6 years. Could have kept it going this year but I wanted to put brassicas there to take advantage of the nitrogen clover fixates.
    I frost seeded my clover plot every year, regular mowing, few pellitized lime bags a year, some 0-0-60 fertilizer and hi it twice with some grass killer(product called bonide, 20$ at fleet farm and same stuff as whitetail institutes arrest but 10$ less.)

But anything else let me know

10. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Since I don't expect it to get too tall because of the lack of sunlight, I will have to see how tall it gets before I cut anything back. I can certainly use a weed whacker back there so as of now. So my tentative plan will be to cut it back if/when gets knee high, frost seed just before winter, and a few treatments of 0-0-60 fertilizer per year. Sound like a solid plan?

11. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Looks really good!

12. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Generally, you want to frost seed in late winter. Right when you're getting a good freeze/thaw cycle going. For me, this is often in early to mid March.

13. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks! It's actually bigger than the picture really shows. It weaves back into the trees a bit on the far side but I'm excited. It's by far the best I've managed to grow in this spot. I was amazed at how full it was with such little sunlight. I will update in a month or two now that we got some rain and I put fertilizer down.

14. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Do you guys think stuff from AK is actually better than from the local coop? Just curious.

15. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can't say if it's better than all of them but it was better than all the other bags of clover seed I checked at my local Tractor Supply. Their bag had more clover content and less filler content than all the other clover plot seed I compared them to. No complaints on their seed coating either, like I said, I didn't till or fertilize and it barely gets any sunlight and it's ankle high at 6 weeks with minimal rain.

16. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Gotcha. I was thinking about getting lazy and just buying AK brassicas this year instead of mixing my own.

17. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can only vouch for the AK Trophy Clover Mix and my experience so far. If reinventing the wheel then I wouldn't call that lazy, I'd say you're making value of your time :) . Just compare the contents of their product (I believe their brassica plot seed is called "Honey Hole") with what you mix yourself and go from there. I guess cost may also come into play too, no idea how big of a plot you are making so there's that too.

18. scoot12

scoot12 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Trophy clover was the first plot that I ever planted 5 years ago and the deer hammered it. Last year I put on a plot of honey hole and deer loved it also. This year I am trying slam dunk and red zone by antler king. I love their products. Scoot

19. nutritionist

nutritionist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    All products have pluses and minuses.....

Look at a tag....see what is on that tag. Coated seed is where the industry is moving towards and for 1 reason...PRICE POINT....
    if one has 1/3 coating on seed, i'd want to crank up the seeding rate by 10%. Sure you will get some enhanced germination with coating but you best give some fudge factor.

#2....Check the seed and testing date on all seed bought. Some companies don't replace seed/take it off shelves. Legally it's needing to be retested every year. Slapping a new sticker over an old label doesn't lead seed to germ any better.

Note, i use to work for a distributor that had 3 big name companies in their portfolio. I ran a test plot with 4 companies seed a few years back. Again, to achieve success, look closely at what your buying as successful food plots shouldn't be like going to the race track, hoping you find a winner.

20. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be out at the property this weekend, I hope to have updated pictures. That will put the plot at about 9 weeks when I get out there. I don't want to jinx myself but because I added some fertilizer the day I took the initial pictures in this post and we've been having some good rain, I have a feeling it will be thriving.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015