Looking for a scouting/hunting buddy near central ohio

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by EliteGame530, May 17, 2015.

1. EliteGame530

EliteGame530 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Gonna be looking at a few different areas around columbus ohio... Delaware State Park, Alum Creek State park, deer creek, Rock mill lake wilderness area and any other potentially good area to hunt. Ive got trail cams ready to go, just waiting on the right time to start scouting.

If there is anybody who would like to participate in scouting trips and hunting together this season, please comment or contact me.

Michael Woods on FB.

2. Matr138920

Matr138920 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck to you, I hunt Delaware Wildlife Area, State Park, and Alum Creek. I would stay away from Delaware state park, that area gets so much pressure. As far as Alum Creek and Delaware Wildlife Area there might be something we could work out. I would not be using cameras though. Too many people I've talked to had theirs taken.

3. EliteGame530

Dislikes Received:
    Great!

I did hunt delaware wilderness area last seaso. Saw some 6 points and a bunch of 4 points. No mature bucks but I only hunted there the last month of the season. Alum creek didn't see any deer in the stand but only hunted ine spot. those are the closest to my house so those are my go to spots.

I'm looking to really get out there hard in early season Before too much pressure hits them.

I have some chain for my cams so I think They'll be good!

4. Matr138920

Dislikes Received:
    When I hunt the public areas around me anything is a good deer.

5. EliteGame530

Dislikes Received:
    Yes definitely!

My plan is to do enough scouting in the thicker areas of the woods where bucks hang out with some good boot leather and and couple of well hidden cams and hopefully be able to locate a few good mature (3+) bucks. My nephew who is 11 will be hunting with me this year and I'll be extatic if he can harvest any branched buck even a fork. My girlfriend also hunts but has never killed a deer with her bow will also be coming out a few weekends to try and get her one as well.

Other than that's I need to fill a few freezers so I'll be targeting good mature does also.

When do you start scouting usually?

6. Matr138920

Dislikes Received:
    year round, I start at the end of the season and continue until the season starts, then I scout during the season in between morning sits and the evening.

7. Rutin

Rutin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A lot of good deer up around Alum, try your hand at knocking on some doors. I quit hunting Delaware roughly 8 years ago, management and herd went to crap. Still a few honey holes up there but not worth my time. Your biggest competition on public is the fact that dove ad squirrel come into season before deer so they start getting bumped before you can hunt them. Its easy to get good pics in the summer but the minute Dove and Squirrel open all that boot leather reverts back to where they actually live and not where they summer. Right now its all about food, so diving deep into their bed to hang cams is kind of counter productive. Be less intrusive now and hunt the "hunters" in season so you know how the deer will travel then. Just my 2 cents..... I live next to a state park so I know the troubles of hunting public. Killed a nice droptine up in Delaware in 2004 (I think) in the wetlands area.

8. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Go to" the Ohio outdoors" forum and post this, you may get some more help. Lots good great people there that live in/around that area