Aiming a recurve with a sight

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by BB4tw, May 15, 2015.

1. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    While my compound is out of commission, I thought I would take some time to play with my warf recurve.

Since my instinctive skills are only good to about 8-10 yards, I would like to put on an old 3 pin sight that I have in the drawer and possibly get good enough to still catch the last end of turkey season before it closes at the end of the month.

My question is, how do I aim a recurve with a sight? Without any let off, I can't hold the pin on target for more than a second or two before I have to release.
    Maybe my draw is too high for me to use a sight. It takes 55 pounds to hold at full draw. I wish I would have bought the 40lb limbs but it is what it is.

Any advice would be great, thanks.

2. VA Bowbender

VA Bowbender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Work on your instinctive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. woodsman

woodsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like too much poundage from your description. If your bow is a take-down you at least have the option of buying some 40# limbs and sell the other limbs or wait and see if you "grow" into them.. Starting with light poundage will help make the learning curve
    shorter and much more enjoyable.

4. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Even without changing limbs, hold the shot incrementally longer to help increase strength.

I also agree with working on the instinctive. Like free throws... practice, practice, practice.

5. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Can't disagree with any of the replies so far. In fact I'm already working on or have plans to do all of the above. I was just looking for a temporary short cut to cover the loss of the use of my compound for the remainder of turkey season.

6. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If it helps...
    When I was starting with the recurve, I'd use the arrow point as a point of reference to 'aim'. Unlike a peep and sight, you aren't 'simply' alining all the points of reference and putting the pin on the target. Instead it is more like shooting iron sights on a gun in that it is more relative aiming. Being aware of your 'hold over' (y axis) for the target varies with distance as does an x axis 'hold off'. The two other key variables being anchor point (consistency) and which eye you are aiming with...hope that's clear enough and helps.

7. VA Bowbender

VA Bowbender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    w1704, it sounds like what you're describing is Gap Shooting. With instinctive you're not using anything as an aiming point. I don't even see my arrow when shooting. It's like throwing a ball, you see the target, concentrate on a spot, judge the distance and throw.
    We did a night shoot this week-end in Baltimore. If you had to use a gap you'd be screwed. My shooting partner and I never missed the target. It was a hoot!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yup, indeed gap shooting. As I said it helped me when i was starting with the recurve.

I later moved to instinctive with the recurve. Though I'm not shooting the recurve much now.