Trying something new

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by dbl lung, May 14, 2015.

1. dbl lung

dbl lung Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Normally I don't use any fertilizer besides Milorganite. Yesterday I planted pumpkins and today I took horse manure and spread it over the seeds. I have never used any manure before so it will be interesting to see how much better the growth is. I plan on doing the same thing for my turnips and hybrid beans later this summer.

Anyone else use horse manure?

2. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If possible try chicken manure... We have a commercial chicken barn and the farmers almost fight over who gets the load for their fields.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I use both composed horse crap and pine bedding with chicken crap added in, I am in the process of building a berm of crap around the food plot.

4. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Manure is good fertilizer. I would say horse would be at the bottom of the manure list as far as what I'd put on but anything can help. Only problem with manure, depending how/where the animals live and feed, be prepared for a massive seed bank of weeds!

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I use horse manure because I have an endless supply of it. I berm the compost rather than spread it so I can keep the weeds down with round up.

6. rudolph345

rudolph345 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    No, not at all
    To be honestly I did not even hear before anyhow cow or buffalo manure one of the best these are being used tremendously and big resource of get huge production..

7. nutritionist

nutritionist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Any source of manure that is weed free is a good route but poultry manure a few clients have turned to. The one problem is cost as there is a big demand for it in Wisconsin.

A couple options....worm castings.
    Humics
    Green Manure.....buckwheat, annual clovers, winter rye, winter triticale, sunn hemp,