KE Question for Elk Hunters

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by cantexian, May 13, 2015.

1. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am trying to decide which of my two arrow options to hunt elk with this fall. This will be my first time to hunt elk. I am using the set up in my signature with one of these two arrow options: Carbon Express Rebel Hunters @ 444 grains, shooting approximately 265 FPS, KE 69.25 or Cabelas Hunter @ 394.4 grains, approx 281 FPS, KE 69.17. I calculated KE and FPS using the calculator on Gold Tips website. I plan on using a fixed blade broadhead. My question is: since the KE is a wash which arrow make more sense? I understand that a heavier arrow will typically yield better penetration. But, since I am preparing to shoot further distances than I normally shoot I am wondering if the extra speed from the lighter arrow would be the better choice since the KE is the same. Any thoughts?

2. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

I would go with the heavier arrow hands down. One thing that a lot of people overlook that is just as important as KE if not more is Momentum. Here is a good article that I like to share when this topic comes up. Also with a bit heavier arrow it will help at those longer shots with wind drift etc.

http://www.qdma.com/articles/momentum-beats-speed-for-lethal-arrow-hits

3. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would definitely go heavy for elk.

4. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just up'd my arrow weight to 515 grain using Easton FMJ for my up coming Elk hunt. I want them to penetrate an Elk at 60yds if I have to.

5. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    In all honesty 444 grains is not that heavy at all. Most guys with your draw weight are using around that for whitetails. Some guys on here might be able to correct me if i'm wrong but you might want to check your FOC. You might be good at adding some weight up front. I think they make inserts that can add 10-50 additional grains up front for added penetration.

Again, I might not be 100% accurate so hopefully someone else can chime in on this.

Keep in mind, 444 grains is not bad at all. Just for best results at longer shots (40 yards or further) you might want a little more weight.

6. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I bumped up my arrow weight since I was expecting to go elk huntingA few years ago. Didn't happen till last year tho. I'm right at 505 if I believe. I may add some more weight up front for next years elk hunt though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I like to err on the side of heavy myself. That's why I switched to PileDrivers when I decided to go after elk, and I haven't switched back.

8. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    Those piledrivers hit like a ton of bricks. You think they would go through the elk, turn around and come back through again. LOL

9. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the feedback everyone, heavy it is and it sounds like I may need to make them heavier.

10. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    444 isn't super heavy, infact I wouldn't want to be any lighter, I heavy arrow is going to maintain KE down range while the lighter arrow is going to shed that KE. You will not be shooting as flat to get out there, but I'd rather stick 450-500 grains in a animal at 50 yards than 400g, but that's just me. If you already own it go heavy!

11. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    KE is irrelevant IMO, a ping pong ball flying a bit faster than a golf ball have the same KE... which one would you rather be hit by? I'll take the ping pong ball. Same holds true for driving a broadhead through an animal. Slow and heavy out performs light and fast every time.

12. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was using 440 gr arrows last year elk hunting, I usually use a 430. Had a complete pass thru at 43 yds on a medium sized 6x6. I have no idea what my KE was, probably somewhere around 69-72. A heavier arrow means more to carry it thru your target, i.e., penetration.

I have heard some use the argument that KE is the indicator for penetration as distance is equal to the KE divided by the total resisting forces. That is for a collision (elastic and inelastic) I believe, you don't want that in a bowhunting scenario, otherwise your arrow would bounce off. KE isn't the indicator for penetration. KE is the result of momentum.

Sorry to get off into the weeds.