Pass through

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Born2Hunt, May 13, 2015.

1. Born2Hunt

Born2Hunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I saw this on another forum I was hoping to hear your thought on this comment. ..my dad feels the same as the guy below mentions.

A bit off topic, but...It's a bit funny, but until I started shooting again (recently) with a compound bow and got on this board I had never heard of an arrow pass-through. In my days with a recurve bow (Bear Grizzly, 1970's) we were taught that having the arrow stop in the chest cavity was best for a kill. The thinking was that as the deer ran, the shaft would hit the brush around the deer causing more internal damage. I guess with the higher power of compounds and small shaft arrows the thinking is more like as was said earlier in this thread, lung collapse.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

2. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Would much prefer a pass through, blood trail better and arrow recovery helps indicate the type of hit that you have.

3. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Pass through would suit me better as well! If the shot is well placed in the boiler room, rookies such as myself can follow the blood trail!!

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    2 holes are better than 1.

5. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am after pass throughs, blood out of both sides makes for better blood trails in my opinion.

I will say in 2012 I shot a doe and squarely hit the upper leg bone, my arrow broke off but the broadhead was in the heart. It died in sight and the heart was destroyed from the deer running with the shaft in the leg and head in the heart.

6. Born2Hunt

Born2Hunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I definitely prefer 2 holes over one but definitely understand where there coming from

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

7. almightynut

almightynut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Being I haven't shot a deer with my bow yet that is the biggest thing I think about is am I going to have a pass through when I do shoot one or not, if not am I going to still have good penetration I know I should I guess it's just what someone thinks about before they shoot there first deer with a arrow

8. wy_will

wy_will Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I like 2 holes as well. I always wonder if it would make a big difference if the arrow stops in the animal. With a pass through you have wasted/unused energy. If you go to a bigger cut broadhead, you will use more energy and have less waste. I still prefer 2 holes and am not going to try out this 1 giant hole theory.

9. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You really can't compare a 1970's recurve to todays compounds. That being said, there is no time that having the arrow remain inside the chest cavity is beneficial to a bowhunters recovery of that animal. It is really very simple, an arrow shaft remaining in the wound prohibits blood loss from that wound whether the animal is moving or not. Clearly as bowhunters we want blood on the ground, and the more the merrier. So even in the case of a non-pass through type shot it is in the best interest of the hunter, for easy recovery, to not have the arrow remain in the animal.

Think of it this way.... have you EVER seen an instance where someone was impaled with something and the first thing the first responder did was remove it? No you have not! They wait until they are in an environment where they will be able to control bleeding because they know the moment that item is removed from the wound that increased blood flow / loss will occur..

Now... about those holes.... 2 for me please.

10. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer a pass through. On most deer I will be shooting I'm going to get a pass through because I mainly hunt does, but if a buck goes walking by I'm going for him if he's mature enough. I'm not the strongest guy out there so I will be pulling about 62.5lbs and I will try to work upto 70lbs before season starts since I haven't shot for a while.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  11. wy_will

wy_will Newb

Dislikes Received:
    62.5lbs is plenty for a whitetail. Heavy arrows with high FOC are key. Otherwise, don't tear up your shoulders. If it was a moose or something like that, then I would try to get up to more weight.

12. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Very Well Stated!

13. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think this is even debatable. If you put holes through both lungs of an animal it cannot live and will die quickly....no additional internal damage is needed.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  14. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Im like everyone else....pass through for me.

15. josephmrtn

josephmrtn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Pass thru!

16. Stubert

Stubert Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    With a pass through, most times you recover your $25.00 + arrow to be used again. I am on my 3rd deer with the same arrow.

17. almightynut

almightynut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think every body wants a pass through, which is great but everyone knows there is a lot of factors that go into it and sometimes you just don't get a pass through, I think it's part of bowhunting and why we do iit, anyone can have a pass through with a .270 or a 30-06. Just part of bow hunting and part of the challenge

18. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Some of the quickest kills I've ever gotten were from quartered away shots where the arrow entered near the back of the ribs and then hit the opposite shoulder and stopped. As the deer run the arrow pulls back into the chest and turns their lungs into soup. Both does this has happened to died within 30 and 45 yards. The last doe I shot after switching setups was similar, only I just missed the front shoulder and had a complete passthrough. She ran 90 yards and left a blood trail that I could follow at dusk, in light rain without a light.

While I don't mind those shots that weren't passthroughs, I would never try to set up my bow to not passthrough.

Another vote for passthroughs.