Broadheads vs field tip weight

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by dudz, May 12, 2015.

1. dudz

dudz Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My bow is set at 65lbs dw. 29" DL now. I find I am shooting a hell of a lot better now.

I am using Easton Carbon bloodline 330 shafts (31" length). Easton HP inserts. Blazer 2" vanes - RH helical. LH shooter

Using "Ballistic RPS Screw In Points" - 100g . I am shooting nice tight groups at 10,20, and 30 yards. Even split a couple of arrows trying to get in the same spot at 30...and Not too bad at 40 yards.
    When I switch tips to "Wasp Drone" fixed broadheads (100g) , the arrows land way high. I fired at 10,20 and 30 yards, and what I found is the broadheads seem exactly in tune with the next sight pin up. If I use the 20 yard pin at 30 yards for instance....bang on

Is this normal ? or should I switch to a heavier broadhead ? or lighter field point to tune in the bow ?

2. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you need to tune your bow, not mess with broadhead weight. Either your nock height is too low or your rest is too high more than likely. When you have an arrow nocked how does it look in relation to the berger holes (holes the rest screws in to).

3. dudz

dudz Newb

Dislikes Received:
    On the Axe 6 there is a line manufactured into the riser (where the berger holes are) where the arrow should aline . I just looked. Its smack on parallel (by the eye).

When I switch back to field points, the bow shoots true. Same weight as the broadheads.

4. dudz

dudz Newb

Dislikes Received:
    hhhmm you may be right. just took the rest cord off to make the rest pop up. it looks slightly high. I will adjust it down to where it looks right, and order a bow square. Thanks !

5. dudz

dudz Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Now things are confusing.....

I leveled the arrow with the center of the berger hole. Then I checked if the arrow was the same distance front and back of the rest side of the riser. It was out by around 3mm. So I adjusted the distance between the riser and the shaft of the arrow by moving the rest. Now there is not enough room for the vane to move through without (just) missing the riser....its very very close.
    The only way I can see of correcting this is to offset the cams so the string pulls over !? or using lower profile vanes

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  6. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don't overwork it. If you're not careful, you'll be chasing your tail, going nowhere, and creating problems by trying to fix the other. How high are your broadheads hitting in relation to your FP's - what is "way high"? I know a lot of people say too much spine is better than too little spine, with your DW, what does a lighter spine do? Most of the time, FP's will always fly good. When your arrow is launched, you do want some flexing happening on its way downrange. It looks like you're shooting a light "stiff" arrow with a low poundage. To get some flexing, adding tip weight may correct your problem. A higher FOC for broadheads vs. FP's is not unheard of.

7. dudz

dudz Newb

Dislikes Received:

I will measure the speed later today. The broadheads land 4 inches high at 20 and 30 yards, and still do after I had adjusted the rest and sighted in again.

8. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Do the broadheads really weigh 100 gr? What do they do at 40 yds?

9. dudz

dudz Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Havnt weighed the broadheads. I bought them as 100 gr. But that would be the logical thing to check wouldn't it. I will have to buy scales

10. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My Chill R is at 65 lbs and 27.5" DL and I shoot Bloodlines also but I use the 400 spine and haven't had any issues going from field tip to broad head (both fixed and mechanical)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. dudz

dudz Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ok. I was advised to go with 330 spines in another forum. Perhaps I should switch to 400's

12. jonathan_2227

jonathan_2227 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Last year I had the same thing happen to me. After doing research, I figured out that my archery store had give me 85 grain tips instead of 100. Try weighing your arrow and see if there is a difference.

13. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would think you would be fine with 330 at 31" arrows, but I think that's right on the boarder. I shoot bloodline 330 from #70 at 29" Dl. But my arrows are cut to 29.5"

14. almightynut

almightynut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I always find broadheads to off by one or two grains good ones anyway and not so good broadheads off by as much as 6-7 grains but I always thought broadheads shot a little off from field points maybe not 4 or 5 inches off but just a little

15. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Hopefully this will help...

[​IMG]

16. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When youre shooting outside. It could also be the wind. The wind can make the arrow fly like that. I only tune tips when im tuning my bow at the shop. But once out. Its the actual heads i have to try at most time. Does that broadhead make any wooshie noises? It could be just the head thats causing it to happen. Not every head flys similar to tips.

17. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To be 100% sure youre head is sighted. 10 yards then 20. But further i use a renzo 2d decoy as a 3d target at 25yds and further.