Food Plot Seed Sources

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Skywalker, May 10, 2015.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been searching around looking for a source for some Egyptian Wheat and I came across Seed Ranch. They seem to offer a huge variety of seed options and in an even wider range of weights than even the manufacturer. On top of that, they have free shipping, which has always been my hang-up for buying seed online. I went ahead and ordered 20lbs of Egyptian Wheat, so I'll let you know how the transaction turns out.

http://www.seedranch.com/default.asp

Has anyone else used them?

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If I wanted EW or a mixture that had it for screening I'd get PastorAndrew's from the forum here. Dude's got good good seed. I know he's distributed some before...not sure if he still is.

3. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Looked at some of their prices. Kind of high (you're paying for shipping in that price). But it's nice to see you can buy all insecticides/weed killer/seeds all at one place.

4. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I actually found the priced to be pretty decent. 2 years ago I bought a 50lb bag of EW from Hummert Seed, which is local here, and it cost me over $100 after shipping. I bought some Tecomate Monster Mix this weekend from Cabela's for $49.99 plus tax and Seed Ranch has it for $52.50 shipped. Clearly you are paying for shipping, but most sites tack about $20 bucks on for shipping per shipment, so if you take that into account, I payed $20 for shipping and only $30 for 20lbs of Egyptian Wheat.

5. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Very true. I was looking at their Whitetail Institue seed to be specific. I liked the fact they were willing to sell 1/4 acre of WI clover. But as I calculated they were charging $19 roughly per pound while BassPro (only can by per 4lbs or greater) shared around $10.5.

But again, this site is willing to sell for smaller food plotters, which is extremely nice for folks like me.

6. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Just got my confirmation and tracking number showing it is shipping out today. So far so good.

7. Northwoods Whitetails

Northwoods Whitetails Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We have it in 4 pound bags fairly cheap. It works great as a screen and especially as a poacher deterrent.

8. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    My wife let me know my seed was delivered today. That's pretty good turnaround.

9. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I buy most of my stuff from from a local seed/fertilizer dealer. I buy a lot of other stuff from Greencoverseed.com and the rest of it from seedland.com.

10. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the info, I just checked out Greencoverseed.com, and they look to be reasonably priced and have a large selection. I may have to give them a try too.

11. buckeyehntr5

buckeyehntr5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  12. nutritionist

nutritionist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been in the business for 24 years and started my own company yesterday to help raise money for youth hunting and education. Egyptian wheat supplies are as tight as ever. I do have some stached away but i prefer people use a blend with forage sorghum, millet and grain sorghum for their cover or screening needs.