The first buck you mounted.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BJE80, May 8, 2015.

1. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What was the first buck you had shoulder mounted?

How old were you?
    How many years did you hunt before?
    Bow or Gun?
    What was the story? Why did you mount it?
    Did you kill any bucks before it that you didn't mount? If so, how big were they?

2. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    First buck I got mounted was 2 years ago when I was 19 years old. Shot it in rifle season while he was with does. I had just finished finals and drove home to climb into my stand when the tractor and combine pulled in. They were harvesting the beans in the other fields around me before dark and the buck stepped out just before they started into the field that I was sitting over. He scored 136 3/8". The gun I shot him with was my grandad's gun he gave me before he passed. My dad went on to tell me that the buck I shot was the first that the gun had ever killed.

[​IMG]

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How old were you? 30 or 31
    How many years did you hunt before? 3 or 4 years
    Bow or Gun? Gun
    What was the story? Why did you mount it? It was the first buck that I had taken off my new 40 acre property that I had just purchased. He's probably only a 2.5 year old that scored right at 120, but I felt like he deserved to go up on the wall in the new house. Kinda something that I can always point to as the beginning.

Did you kill any bucks before it that you didn't mount? The first deer I killed was a basket rack 8pt with a huge body, but this was the second buck I had ever taken.

4. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    130+ inch 9 point

How old were you? 14
    How many years did you hunt before? 2
    Bow or Gun? bow
    What was the story? Why did you mount it? Not much of a story went out hunting after school and shot a buck and it was a nice buck that's why
    Did you kill any bucks before it that you didn't mount? If so, how big were they? I killed a fork horn the year before with a gun no need to mount that.

5. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

How old were you? 23 years old.
    How many years did you hunt before? This would have been my 11th year hunting with a rifle.
    Bow or Gun? .270 Rifle

What was the story? Why did you mount it? My niece passed away a year earlier at 18 years old... I used her .270 that she would always use and got him on the last day of the season. It was also my first decent sized buck.
    Did you kill any bucks before it that you didn't mount? If so, how big were they? A 5 pointer 2 years prior to this.

6. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How old were you? 17
    How many years did you hunt before? 2 Years
    Bow or Gun? Bow
    What was the story? Why did you mount it? Was my first year hunting on my own on state land. After I got to my spot I had a father and Son walk down the trail in front of me and then not long after a guy was walking his dog. Just before dark this guy came in at 20 yards and presented a shot. I mounted it because it was my biggest archery deer to date.
    Did you kill any bucks before it that you didn't mount? If so, how big were they? My first was a spike with bow so no mount was thought of.

My 12 2011.jpg

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  7. jemcmichael

jemcmichael Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How old were you? I was 15

How many years did you hunt before? I had been hunting since age 11 with no success.

Bow or Gun? It was a shotgun.

What was the story? I had been hunting for five years with no luck and was starting to get burnt out. I was hunting on a step down on the side of a hill in SE Ohio. I first saw his antlers coming up a draw from the bottom of the Hill and didn't look at his antlers again till I walked up on him. When he crossed at 40 yards I shot, then shot my next two rounds as he ran off. 60 yards later he fell over. I've never climbed down a tree faster! Walked up on him and couldn't believe it!

Why did you mount it? He scored 149". Had to mount him!
    Did you kill any bucks before it that you didn't mount? If so, how big were they? Nothing prior to this.

uploadfromtaptalk1431109350789.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

8. NCcrittergitter

NCcrittergitter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What was the first buck you had shoulder mounted? He is 7 pointer, with a messed left side.

How old were you? 16, I'm 34 now.

How many years did you hunt before? Sports only allowed me to get in the woods a few days a year, but I'd hunted sparingly since I was 8. Technically 8 years.

Bow or Gun? Gun

What was the story? That was 1996, NC wasn't blessed with the deer numbers we are now. We only had 2 doe days a year where does taken. Seeing a deer was tough enough, much less a buck. Dad's friend let me hunt his property and stand, knowing I'd have a pretty good chance of shooting a deer. This guy came through the timber, buck fever set in, so bad that I didn't even see the much larger buck directly behind him. I shot, him and the other deer ran off and stopped 40 yards away. I was so tore up, it didn't even dawn on me to shoot the other buck as well.

Why did you mount it? My Dad promised the first "good" buck I killed he'd mount it. He was a "good" buck to me. Might score 70"

Did you kill any bucks before it that you didn't mount? If so, how big were they? It was my first deer.

9. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How old were you? I was 23 years old (1998)
    How many years did you hunt before? 16
    Bow or Gun? I hunted with a gun from the time I was 7, with a bow from 8. My first shoulder mount was a bow kill
    What was the story? Why did you mount it? It was a 146 5/8's eight point with only 1" of deduction, it was the first one I could afford to pay to have mounted.
    Did you kill any bucks before it that you didn't mount? If so, how big were they?
    Honestly I can't recall all the bucks I'd killed up to that point. Most of my hunting time up to that point in my youth wasn't about keeping track or caring that much about trophy status or numbers killed. I hunted for pleasure and for meat, it wasn't until I matured some that hunting turned into more of a sport and things like scores and total kills even crossed my mind to be honest. I grew up in a hunting family where we did it for food as a primary concern...when the freezer ran low we bought tags and tried to restock the supply with as many tags as we could fill by whoever had a chance to fill them.

As far as size of the bucks I'd taken before that first shoulder mount, Missouri bucks from the 80's when I started hunting were pretty puny and numbers were low in my part of the state. Circumstances being as they were as explained above, we didn't normally even measure the bucks, if we liked the looks of it we kept the rack and if it was a normal doinker it got tossed with the carcass. Knowing now how they score, I'd guess most were in the 80-115 range and I had a few over that. A couple 140's a handful of 130's, a lot of 120's. I'm pretty sure I averaged at least five deer per year between bow and gun. I never had any unfilled tags from the time I started hunting until I was 15 years old. We moved to a farm in 1988 and I started breaking into wildlife management and my mindset and family circumstances changed some after that. By the time I was 15 my priorities changed and I started passing deer with management goals in mind and I had my first unfilled doe tags that year.

After ten years of management practices on the farm, I killed my first buck that I had a mindset to mount and could afford to do so which was the 146 5/8ths 8 point. He was both a result of management and a bowkill and one of my best to that date so he was and still is "special" to me.

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  10. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've never mounted a buck. No one wants to see my endless supply of 2.5 year old 80 inch bucks!

11. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I do!

12. Bowhunter0132

Bowhunter0132 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

13. DD/MO

DD/MO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What was the first buck you had shoulder mounted? A 120" 8-point from southeast MO back in 1989. Back then people were more concerned with what a buck weighed and I remember people going crazy that he field dressed at 225lbs.

How old were you? 15 years old.

How many years did you hunt before? I started hunting deer when I was 13. Before that, there really weren't many deer at all around here. I remember seeing my first deer ever when I was 10 years old and I still live on the same farm now where we see a herd of 50 in our standing corn in the winter.

Bow or Gun? My trusty 30-30 that I still use today.

What was the story? I was hunting on my family's farm. I set up in a downed tree top half way up a ridge. There were squirrels everywhere and I wasn't paying that much attention to what was going on around me. I happened to look up the ridge behind me and I saw him with his nose down walking about 50 yards away. I freehanded my 30-30 onto where my dad told me to aim. The buck took off after the shot running right towards my dad on the next hill on the same ridge. My dad heard me shoot and topped the hill to see what was up as the buck topped the hill at the same time. The buck fell within 10 feet of my dad. That was over 25 years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday.

Why did you mount it? It was the biggest buck anyone had ever seen killed in the area at that particular time.

Did you kill any bucks before it that you didn't mount? That was my first buck ever.

The mount really looks bad compared to today's work.
    [​IMG]

14. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting since 1987 but never had a nice deer to mount. First deer I ever killed was a 120lb doe here on Long Island,in 1988, was with a Mossberg Model 500, 12 gauge! Last year I finally connected with my bow on a nice 9 point, again taken on Long Island. I couldnt be prouder! To me, he`s an absolute giant, in reallity he probably goes 80". Then again on my 20th wedding anniversary, November 16th 2014, I killed an 8 point!! Heres the picture of my first ever bow buck, I was 45 years old, worth the wait my friends, I`ll remember this buck, and my 2nd buck as long as I live!!

Attached Files:

15. g791

g791 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]
    How old were you? 41
    How many years did you hunt before? 5
    Bow or Gun? Bow
    What was the story? Why did you mount it? http://forums.bowhunting.com/showthread.php?t=69135
    Did you kill any bucks before it that you didn't mount? No

Sent from my Torque

16. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    How old were you? - 24 years old
    How many years did you hunt before? - Deer hunt 2
    Bow or Gun? - Gun .270 win
    What was the story? Why did you mount it? I was hunting a cutover with my Dad. My Dad hung a stand in a cedar tree that had the top blown out. It was early October. A mocking bird kept trying to land in the tree and I kept shooing it away. I looked down and I saw the buck walking through the field less than 40 yards away. I turned, the strap hit the rifle. He stopped and I did too. I was shooting off hand across my body. My Dad's .270 has over and under sights. I was shooting using the iron sight. Boom! I Missed. I cycled the bolt as the rifle recoiled and fired again. Missed again. Buck never moved. I cycled the bolt again. All I could she was him from the neck up. I put the cross hairs on the base of his neck and squeezed the trigger. He collapsed! I saw my Dad running to another field opening off to my far right. I told him I got him. He said stay there until he got there. He came up on the buck still struggling to et up and finished him off. 8 Point - 212 lbs - 17 inch spread. Full Shoulder Mount looking to the right! He was standing this exact way when I shot him. I mounted it because it was the first buck I ever killed.

Did you kill any bucks before it that you didn't mount? If so, how big were they? No

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  17. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

My bow bucks. Not a shoulder mount yet.

This thread did, at least, cause me to bring most of them inside the house so I could clean 'em up a bit. :)

18. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What was the first buck you had shoulder mounted?105" 10 pt

How old were you?29
    How many years did you hunt before?every year since I was 12 (17 years)
    Bow or Gun?bow
    What was the story? Why did you mount it?It was the rut, 1st week of Nov and a record breaking high day of 70+ degrees. He came in chasing does and I shot him about 8 yds. He was this biggest buck by far that I had ever killed up to that point.
    Did you kill any bucks before it that you didn't mount? If so, how big were they?Yes, 10-12. All very small bucks.

19. rizzo999

rizzo999 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How old were you? - 36 years old

How many years did you hunt before? - 23

Bow or Gun? - Bow Elite GT500
    What was the story? Why did you mount it? From a young age I told myself I was not going to mount a deer until it surpassed 150". This buck was 152" and change. I had a couple close calls with a larger buck, but shot this guy while he was walking up a small river at 10:20 AM on a 76 degree November day. There was not a single vehicle in the parking lot when I shot him as they had all left the woods by around 9:00. Public land btw! **Can't locate any pics of the mount and it is currently in the basement while the stairwell is being painted.

[​IMG]

Did you kill any bucks before it that you didn't mount? If so, how big were they? I had killed many, many bucks up to 145" with gun. On the same public land 1.5 day before this i killed my largest buck with a bow until this guy. The first one was around 135". I seem to have taken quite a few bucks between 120-130" from the look of some racks in boxes in the basement. The cool part is there is a story to go with everyone of those racks. Wonder how many years until I forget the hunts![/QUOTE]

20. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How old were you? 21
    How many years did you hunt before? I guess I started officially hunting with my own gun at 8 years old. So, about 13+ years
    Bow or Gun? Gun - Remi 870 express mag 20 gauge. My very first gun, dad got me when I was 8.
    What was the story? Why did you mount it? I had been hunting hard all year, missed 2 dandy bucks during bow season. This buck I had previous history with, during the summer, I jumped him in our bean field while I was going to scout the back 40 acres of beans. It was big enough to mount (in my eyes). He was the widest buck (heck, the biggest buck period) I'd ever laid eyes on while hunting. He scored 126", there was never a question in my mind I was mounting him.
    Did you kill any bucks before it that you didn't mount? If so, how big were they? Yes I killed (3) 9 pointers prior to this buck that only scored 90-100s, and many other smaller bucks. (I've euro mounted all those bucks).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]