Portable stands for a big guy

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Csmith3, May 8, 2015.

1. Csmith3

Csmith3 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This year will be my first yeah in a portable tree stand and I'm a little worried. Because of my weight because I'm right at 275 lbs and I'm worried about the stand holding up and the climbing ladder or sticks. I have my hunter safety system and lifeline. And I've read that the weight limits are 300 lbs on those but I guess I'm looking for a little reassurance that big guys like me are up in the tree getting the job done. And the stands aren't bending and breaking in half because of our larger than life smile and stomachs. Lol thanks guys and gals

Cory

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  2. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use Rivers Edge Big Foot XL, I feel they hold some good weight. My max weight was 230 lbs. when using them and I never felt sketched out. They say they will hold up to 300#, Good Luck!

3. Csmith3

Csmith3 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I appreciate it but will the tree stand be more unstable than normal cause I'm bigger or will it hug the tree better

4. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use the Lone Wolf Alpha hang on stand with sticks because it is rated at 350lbs. I think my climber is rated for the same. Most climbers allow a little extra weight for us big guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Lone Wolf Alpha II and a set of sticks. I'm not 275, but 235 carrying my camera gear and hunting gear probably get's me close to that weight. That stand is absolutely rock solid in the tree. The cast aluminum platform seems to be much more rigid than other stands that are made of hollow tubes. I haven't had any issue with the sticks either, and I always climb into the stand with my full backpack on. The only thing I bring up into the tree with a pull rope is my bow.

6. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm assuming it will hold more secure just due to your weight forcing the teeth of the stand into the tree.

If you find a tree with good bark to grip into and use an extra ratchet strap under the seat it should be fine.

If you get a stand test it out a couple feet off the ground.

7. Csmith3

Csmith3 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys y'all have been a lot of help I'll look into the lone wolf products. And climbing sticks. I just wanted to be safe in the tree. Thanks again
    Cory

8. BigHoss

BigHoss Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^That...
    I am a Big Mac or 2 north of 300lbs on a good day and not real fond of heights, not the height so much as the speed at which I hit the ground. I started setting my stand at 2ft last summer and practiced shooting out of it until I was comfortable and then moved up a little. If you don't trust the stand, you will never be comfortable to make a good shot.

9. Bowhunter0132

Bowhunter0132 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use a climber, but I would imagine that all or most stand makers will have a line for larger hunters. Summitt makes a stand that is designed for bigger folks.. higher weight limit and wider seat. Good luck in the coming season!

10. Csmith3

Csmith3 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Lol thanks bighoss now I don't feel alone. And thank you bowhunter0132 for the different brand in tree stands. Summit is more in my budget. But if I have to go outside my budget to be safe I'm willing to.

11. BigHoss

BigHoss Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've got a Big Dog from Menards that I bought a few years ago. I plan to upgrade this year, but it works. I would love to have a few $300 stands right away but then I couldn't afford to go hunt.

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with you on that. I have about a dozen cheap hang on stands. Two years ago I decided I wanted to be more mobile at times and that's when I invested in the LW. It hurt to drop that much on one set, but I think it's worth it to have one set that can be packed in and hung the same day you want to hunt the spot. Helped me kill my buck last year on public land. First ever sit in that spot. Headed in at about 2pm, set up, trimmed and ready to hunt by 3pm. Killed my buck that evening.

13. Csmith3

Csmith3 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I hear ya there. I wouldn't be able to buy the necessities to be able to hunt if I bought a lone wolf. I'm a college kid, it's hard enough buying lunch. Lol and us big boys gotta eat.

14. Chris Scates

Chris Scates Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am 6'4" and 330. I bought the Summit Titan last year and have had great success with it. It's expensive, but very roomy and rock solid. I am going to buy new cables every year though just to be on the safe side. Good luck this season

15. jdhaines32

jdhaines32 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm 6'3" and about 320 and use the Summit Titan as a climber with no issues at all. However I mostly hunt out my Big Dog Mastif XL stands and a few Sniper hangings and ladder stands with no problems. I do always use a second strap to attach to the tree and I'm always connected with my harness but the stands have always seemed secure.

16. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like big game treestands. They have a smaller price tag than lone wolf and some summit stands.

17. BigHoss

BigHoss Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not to hijack the thread but what do you other "more than petite" guys use for a safety harness? Most of them I've tried have me singing soprano before I get climbed in.

18. Csmith3

Csmith3 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use hunters safety system in 2x/3xl and it works for me man

19. tmala46

tmala46 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in the neighborhood of your size. I have a summit Goliath climbing stand I have been using for about 4 years, and it is solid as a rock. I can move around in it with confidence and it's very comfortable. Which is nice. I also bought a lone wolf alpha 2 last year, and I haven't had any issues with it. I prefer the lone wolf because of the versatility it offers.

20. jdhaines32

jdhaines32 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use the Hunter Safety System 4x-5x Pro Series vest.