Straight shaft vs. curved shaft string trimmer

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by choppernut, May 7, 2015.

1. choppernut

choppernut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I'm looking to purchase a new string trimmer this weekend and I didn't realize there were so many options!! The biggest one being a straight shaft vs a curved shaft. After doing some reviews, a lot of people state you get more cutting torque out of a straight shaft and with that you can cut heavier weeds like in a food plot. I was just curious. As to what everyone else uses.

Thanks in advance!!

2. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I just bought an Echo commercial grade straight shaft power head that has changeable attachments. I bought the mini roto tiller, string trimmer, brush blade (80 tooth saw blade) and the extended chainsaw with extra extension. I've used it for a couple of weeks now and it is a beast. It would be ideal for food plots and tree stand prep.

http://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Pro-Attachment-Series

3. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have virtually the same one...but it's a stihl....I have a brush blade, string trimmer, and my favorite attachment...a 10ft limb saw with a 10"bar.

A straight shaft will have more torque than a curved shaft in general...and I think they are more versatile

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have the same trimmer, just don't have all the attachments yet.

To answer the original posters question, I personally prefer the straight shaft trimmers.

5. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Straight. The straight will allow you to reach places the curved shaft won't let you get to.

I just bought a stihl myself and just went through the same delimma. Then realized a curved shaft won't get to all the places I might need to get to.

6. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We like the echo as well and it's a little beast but it's worth mentioning that the strongest unit was somewhere around 28cc. Still pretty strong and works well for most of our needs but my uncles Stihl which is similar is right at 41cc and a very rugged unit. We like that one for heavier brush/limb cutting.

7. josephmrtn

josephmrtn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Straight... We put a SKIL saw blade on our one trimmer an man does that sucker cut thru brush!!!! Just have to be really careful not to hit rocks an stuff and also make sure nobody is standing nearby, if an accident would happen I'm quite certain that blade could go right thru someone's abdomen or legs

8. WiscoBowHunter

WiscoBowHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well I really like the stihl FS90r we use at work!

Sent from my arrow using Mathews!

9. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Stihl FS 110 trimmer with bike handles. If you are going to do a lot saw blade work I suggest getting a bike handle model. I can cut grass, trails and brush like nobodies business. Its one of my favorite pieces of equipment.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  10. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a straight shafted Stihl also, don't ask me what the model is other then it's a commercial grade, got it locally ...it wasn't cheap but it's been dependable.

11. The Old Man

The Old Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have an old Ariens curved shaft I bought in the early 80s sometime. Still starts fine every spring. Gets the light work done that I use it for. I may have to change the spark plug one of these years. Till then it is all original as it came from the dealer.

Seems like a lot of stuff I have is getting old these days. :confused:

12. choppernut

choppernut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I ended up getting a straight shaft trimmer. After doing my research (which my wife thought I was nuts b/c its a weed wacker) I bought a straight shaft. With a straight shaft trimmer, you'll get more cutting torque out of the machine vs a curved shaft. With trimming walking lanes every summer out to my tree stand, I don't want to deal with a trimmer that is bogging down all the time. It's also one were I can put different attachments on so that'll be nice. Thanks for all the help everyone!!!