Public land Black bear hunting

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Lastoneout, May 6, 2015.

1. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Really just black bear hunting in general I have never done it nor researched it. But I'm convinced I will kill a bear this season. What kinda tips do you killers have? What's different ? Where / how do they sleep, what type of terrain or cover do they prefer ? Etc, etc. what am I looking for while scouting ?
    Baiting is out of the question obviously.

I realize it's a really open question
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    get good binoculars... do a lot of glassing, when you find a bear, stalk from down wind (they have great noses) most likey they will be moving so try to find a spot ahead of the bear you can reach before him from down wind then hope he doesn't change course while you sit in ambush... figure 90% of your time will be spent glassing the clear cuts, fields, and opposite hill sides looking for bear... 5% stalking... 5% waiting in ambush... of all that you will get a shot at maybe 1 in 10 you see... another option if available in your area is in the fall catch em fishing on the salmon rivers... I float the rivers looking for bear, when I spot them, beach the boat, and approach from down wind... better odds of seeing bears, better odds of getting close... down side is when they are eating fish the meat sucks...

3. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Glassing is prolly not an option it's thick as hell in there an were it is open I doubt they will be seen there cause it's public land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  4. Bowhunter0132

Bowhunter0132 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If Lastoneout is hunting Maryland, it's going to be more of a tree stand hunt. Maryland isn't like out west at all. We have thick, thick cover and steep mountains.

If you are hunting public lands, game cameras are out.. they will just get stolen. I have never hunted bears, but I would suggest researching as to where the most bears are seen/taken. Then try and get as much info about black bear as possible. Sorry I couldn't help more..

5. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    dark/damp areas with abundant natural foods. acorns/berries/hazelnuts.

also corn/sunflower fields.

6. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    sorry... didn't see where ya was from... might try spilling bacon grease on yer shoes... that way they will find you ;)