WI Turkey Season

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by kurveball18, May 4, 2015.

1. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Guys,

I start my turkey season this Wed. May 6th here in Wisconsin. I have killed a few birds with a gun but decided to go for the ultimate challenge and go with my new Mathews HTR bow this year. I also decided to do it without a pop up blind. The only thing that I might use periodically is I got those little mesh things you can stick in front of you that gives up a little blind. It stands up about 2 feet to help block leg movement and such.

Are their any other Wisconsin hunters that can give me an update on how central Wisconsin birds are doing so far. Are a lot of them henned up? Is late morning better because some of the hens leave to go sit on their nest now? Any tips would be appreciated as well since I expect this to be difficult let alone being able to draw my bow without them seeing me. lol

2. the wanderer

the wanderer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I jus hunted the third season in southwestern Wisconsin and birds were definitely henned up by us. They barely gobbled once they hit the ground. My coworker watched a hen getting bred last Thursday. I think this fourth season should be real good as I'm assuming quite a few hens have been bred already. The toms should be moving/competing for less hens. Those are my thoughts based on what I saw and heard. Someone else may have had a different experience. Good luck!

3. chilly2031

chilly2031 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going with a htr myself. It's been a rough start in Maryland. Hens are at the roost waiting on the Tom and once they hit the ground the only way to get a sound is with a crow or gobble call and that's not everytime. I can't wait for afternoons to open next week. It may help. They have been talkative in the evenings and I've roost rd several birds just to have to compete with hens at first light. Good luck.
    [​IMG]

4. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

That was kind of my thoughts as well. I have had more lucky around 10-11am getting one to gobble and come in. I'm not using a blind this year and going with a buddy who is going to sit in front of me as I sit partially behind the tree. Will give me partial cover. Hopefully a bunch of the toms are done with the more dominant hens and will be susceptible to calling again as they look to have hot sex with another hen. lol

5. chilly2031

chilly2031 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Finally got one in Md last night.
    [​IMG]