Just something to talk about

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Oldcarp, May 4, 2015.

1. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm just wondering what everybody's max distance is for shooting elk. This is just for conversation so please nobody tear down anybody. I just need to talk elk hunting because August for me isn't going to get here soon enough:bow:

My Max is 40 yards. When I was younger 60 was my max. With my eyesight 40 is as comfortable as I dare to shoot.

2. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good to see you yearning for elk talk. I'm the same way right now. Keep checking Big Game and not much brewing.

2 years ago. My max distance was 60 yards. (I shot 80 yards with bubble on 5 pin sight) With new set up and adjustable pin I believe I could do up to 80 if I feel confident with my shooting this summer. Right now. I would still say 60, but would like to get comfortable to 80. Most places we are going will be close range anyway. Both of the max shots are assuming no movement and relaxed. I would want time to range and dial in at that distance.

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It really depends, so many variables involved. I would say everything perfect ....75 yards.

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Anything above 30 yards I have no idea where the arrow will hit, not that I can't shoot but I can't see where the arrow hits. I would have to walk half the distance to see where the arrow is in the target.

5. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt them but have yet to arrow one yet so with that said I feel confident in my shorting out to 60yd but, would only take that shot if I couldn't get closer and, the hunt was winding down. I know how tough Elk are and I'd be more concerned about a less than perfect shot that could lead to not recovering him.

6. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ...I need to talk Elk 24/7/365...:)

For me, I'm confident I can hit my deer target everytime at 50yds, and 60yds by late summer when I've been shooting long range more...and I have a very small 3D deer.
    This would typically translate well to elk sized game - but "heat of the moment" shooting, it would have to be perfect for me to shoot 40 and not real sure I'm going out to 50 unless I have all the time in the world and conditions are 100% perfect (so very unlikely in the elk woods).

My first ever shot at an elk skipped off her back at 24 yds, I had shot for 40yds...cow fever got the best of me:)
    My first kill was 37yd shot, elk ran short distance
    Second kill was 17yd shot, saw him drop

I prefer the close ones like most would, more intense encounter, and I have much more control over my arrow. I'd say about 90% of my hunting is in the dark timber so it's usually going to require close shots, and I'm fine with that. Last season I had 3 different bulls at 8yds, 20yds, and 15yds...with no shot...gotta love it!

The majority of my shooting is at 10-11pm when the kids are in bed during the summer, I step out into my garage and shoot a couple arrows, only 9yds if I stay in garage lights, but will usually step into driveway once to 20 and 30 (standing in middle of street:))...even those 2-3 arrows per night have helped my shooting and accuracy immensely.

Thanks for sidetracking my normal Tuesday morning to think elk...even if just for a bit:)

7. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My husband got his last season with a single 660 yard shot.
    I got mine the year before at 250 yards. :p

40 yards would probably be my max with a bow. I'm only pulling 40-45 lbs. But so far I haven't even bought an archery elk tag.
    Maybe I'll buy one this year.

8. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Considering I'm 1 for 1 on shots at elk... I'll have to stick with <15 yards. That distance seems to work best thus far...

9. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    50 yds for elk with my setup. My arrows, I think, lose too much at distances much farther than that. Still waiting on UT draws to see if I have a deer tag, so I haven't decided on UT for elk or CO since I didn't draw my home state of NM.

10. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    40 yards would probably be my max with a bow. I'm only pulling 40-45 lbs. But so far I haven't even bought an archery elk tag.
    Maybe I'll buy one this year.[/QUOTE]

You should try it Christine it is a lot of fun

11. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Oldcarp. You better get those cameras out even if you don't get a tag. Us Midwestern people and others need western elk pics during summer. I'm sure you will be out scouting with family. As always. Show as many pics as you feel comfortable. Good luck this year to your family.

12. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Something on my bucket list...I'd think I'd use the same thinking as deer, under 40 yds I have the most confidence in my shot and placement.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'd be keenly interested in what a new Elk hunter should know...

13. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    I got two cameras put up this morning. In a couple weeks I will put out a couple more

14. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    I dont know your set up. But I like to have an arrow over 400 grains and a good COC broadhead. Get in the best shape you can. That is a start anyway.

15. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yup, my normal deer setups run between 409 and 449gr, with CoC. But as you can probably see from my sig, aren't necessarily packing the same speed (which gets translated to KE) as some of the newer gear.

Me getting into shape is probably the bigger challenge for me.

Thanks for the insights! I'll sit back, shut up and hope to live vicariously through y'all, at least for another season (God willing and the creek don't rise).

16. Bowhunter0132

Bowhunter0132 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would stick to 40 or under, if that is where you are comfortable. I have heard of many taking further shots, but you shot can only be as good as you are confident shooting. If you are past that comfort zone, you are more likely to make a bad shot and miss, or worse, wound the animal. Good luck!

17. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    I have a good elk hunting buddy that shoots traditional. Most his shoots are under 25 yards. Speeds not everything shot placement is. Post anytime you want I learn more from people on here then I would admit to :moose: I'm 53 and still chase elk, just not as quick as I use to be. I keep telling my wife I want to be in the middle of bugling an elk in when the good lord takes me home :wave:

18. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Spot on. Thanks!

And i lied and am going to pipe up again.

I know we have folks who Elk hunt out west. Has anybody tried any of the more eastern states, differences in experiences, etc.

19. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The VERY first thing I think anyone needs to know is...be prepared for a new level of hunting addiction I like to call Elkoholism, make sure a week off every future Sept is a possibility...and there is no known cure! A wise hunter I met in my first Elk camp said Moose is the only cure...I'm still waiting to find out:)

20. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ha! Vacation available-check! Have 4 weeks in the bank.

I looked at a map and a drive to Colorado for me is somewhere around 24hrs...each way. Which is why I asked about eastern Elk...it's either that or save my 'change' for an outfitter and fly out west with the plan of shipping any game back...which I'm thinking might require a big budgetary windfall!