Have you replaced beef with venision? Or would you?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BJE80, May 4, 2015.

1. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    For those of you that have high deer numbers and can kill enough deer to feed your family do you not buy beef anymore? Or is venison just a supplement?

If you don't have high enough deer numbers would you replace beef if you could?

2. Ryan A

Ryan A Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We hardly ever buy beef anymore. Maybe a nice ribeye every now and then but we haven't bought ground beef in years.

3. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If i'm cooking a hamburger or steak on the grill I prefer beef everytime.

But, I eat a lot more ground venison versus ground beef.

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For the most part, we are almost exclusively eating Venison at home. We are pretty busy, so we don't eat at home nearly as often as we would like, but when we do it's usually venison. We never buy hamburger any more and it's been a long time since I can remember buying any beef. I still like beef, but we just don't feel the need to spend the money on it since we have a perfectly good substitute.

I still like a good steak every now and again, but I usually just have it when we are eating out.

5. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My wife will only eat venison ground in stuff like chili, tacos, sloppy Joe's, etc. Please don't say "she would like it the way I cook it" because she won't. She doesn't really like beef steaks or roast either but she will eat those. I don't know why but seeing a piece of meat and knowing it was a deer triggers something and she refuses to like it. Ground up for some reason is ok. I just go with it after 23 years together :) .

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I eat more venison than beef at home, that will be changing soon as I can only shoot 1 deer a year so the venison only goes so far.

7. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We don't have high harvest numbers here but we definitely don't buy a lot of meat in general. I love beef so it certainly won't get replaced but we don't buy hardly any being we have plenty of meat in the freezer. This is the first year in many that we have had to buy ground beef because of the harvest numbers.

Between both of us being hunters, my dad normally gives us some of his, and we take some from his parents (they just don't eat as much venison as we do), this allows us to eat venison year around. We also do a lot of other hunting too so we rarely buy meat. Heck, we don't buy chicken either, we get that free too. Not buying meat certainly saves on the grocery bill!

8. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Have not replaced venison with beef... Although I would like to.

9. Robson

Robson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My wife is the same way. If it was up to me, I'd go to 100% venison. That wouldn't fly in my household though. She'll eat some, but she gets a bit picky on what

10. okie_flinger

okie_flinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    my family eats a lot less beef (50% less?) these days compared to the deerless years before I started hunting again. we eat venison on average about once a week. we still eat beef, but certainly a lot less than we would without venison in the freezer.

11. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For the most part yes. We don't eat much beef at all. We will occasionally splurge and buy some steaks though.

12. Smitty0220

Smitty0220 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Same here as okie_flinger. Lot less beef these past twenty years. Hamburg at $6.00/pound is not in the budget. Lucky here in RI that we can take up to 8. I have not been that successful, but usually get 4. Don't know how long those numbers will last, but will take advantage for as long as I can.

13. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No. If it's going on the grill it's going to be beef.....

14. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For the past six years or so, we eat vastly more venison than beef. I'd put between four and seven deer a season in the freezer. I bought beef trim to add to venison and the occasional steaks but that was about it.

Last year we put two deer and an elk in the freezer. I still buy some beef. We buy a lot of pork. I make carnitas with the venison but add pork so it's not so dry. I add pork when I make sausage too. I add beef fat to some of the ground venison. We don't eat much of the venison in steak form. 'Cept for backstraps and inner loins it tends to be too dry for my liking. I prefer to make roasts, stews, carnitas, pulled venison, tacos, enchiladas... etc..

For just a steak on the grill. I want a big, well-marbled beef steak.

My hubby wants to get a beef calf (or two), we might get some weaner pigs to raise as well. Right now I have 50 meat chickens I'm raising.

It's almost like we like meat....

15. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Venison doesn't replace beef at my house. It is simply another choice alongside beef, pork, and chicken.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

16. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We eat a lot of venison. Usually have more of that in the freezer than beef. However, we raise our own beef cow and pigs. So we usually split the cow with family and keep a whole pig.

I would replace it if we had to constantly buy meat in the store - but I don't have to.

17. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We eat venison and ground turkey. The only time we buy beef anymore is when we want a nice filet mignon.

18. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Aside from a beef steak, I could replace beef with venison easily. Not likely anytime soon with the current numbers around here though.

19. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    One of these years, I'd like to get a side of Bison, but that stuff is expensive these days :)

20. LowbanksArcher

LowbanksArcher Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    With only 1 tag offered here, it's not an option. If we had enough tags/deer, I would most certainly replace beef with venison. Lots of ag fields here and the deer taste fantastic as a result.

Last edited: May 4, 2015