Climbing system for hang ons

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by jrk_indle84, May 1, 2015.

1. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Been trying to decide what ladder or sticks to get for the muddy stands just picked up. They won't really be for a mobile set up, I'll probably be putting them up withing next month or so and that'll be it for the season. Guess mostly looking for opinions on different types of sticks since I've never used them. The ladder sections I've been using work fine but didn't know if there's an advantage to say the muddy or lw sticks alot of guys use. Price isn't that big of a deal but if there's really no advantage can pick up both ladders for price of one set of sticks.

Thanks, I'm sure this may have been discussed alot but everything I'm finding is more along the lines of "get brand x because they're the best." Hoping to get something more than that.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  2. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sticks allow you to go up any tree whether it is leaning, full of branches, a split trunk etc etc. A ladder stick only allows you to go up a straight tree with no branches or anything else in the way.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  3. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a set of each. They both work great in the right situation. At 250lbs and scared of heights, I do appreciate the "solidness" of a stick ladder.

4. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I use Millenium Ladder Sticks. They come in 5 (4ft) sections. They have No Slip step on them that is really nice. I probably have 7 sets of them. I use them on all types of trees. Even ones with limbs. It's not hard at all. As you climb, you may have to saw a limb or two to get them all up. But once you have them up, they are there to stay. They aren't necessarily made for mobility, but are very sturdy and reliable. I have a great technique for securing them to the tree as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Millennium-...698?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43bda67572

Or Amazon if you have Prime.

http://www.amazon.com/Millennium-M-...&qid=1430579678&sr=8-3&keywords=millenium+m50

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  5. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    if theft is no problem, i take a cordless drill and use 8" 1/2 lag bolts. cheap and easy.

6. SharpEyeSam

Dislikes Received:
    I saw your post earlier about this. I think I will give this a try.

7. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the suggestions fellas. Actually not really sure what I'm looking for but since I've only had experience with what I've been using was looking at other options. Kinda always kinds though a stand was a stand until I picked these up and the quality is somewhat of a step up.

8. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If I'm leaving a stand up long term and will use it year after year I'll just screw steps into the tree....done deal

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  9. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a set of Lone Wolf sticks for being mobile, but for my permanent stands I have ladder sticks and screw in steps. I prefer the ladder sticks. I just try and catch them on sale of at the end of the season.

10. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We cannot use screw in steps in PA. We use either stick ladders or these Rivers Edge sticks. A few years ago we bought a bunch on clearance at Gander MTN. We just leave them out all season.

[​IMG]

11. okie_flinger

okie_flinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    you bought muddy stands... why not muddy sticks?

http://www.gomuddy.com/product-category/products/elevated-hunting/climbing-systems/

They have plenty of options to choose from. I have a set of the outfitter sticks. They are steel and are certainly heavier than aluminum sticks, but are portable and easy to use. I use them for my semi-portable setup - a weekend hunt in a new area, etc. I wouldn't want to be carrying them all over creation though.

As others have said, insofar as sticks -vs- ladder-stick types, I would choose stick every time. one might think the ladder type is more stable, easier to climb because the steps will be evenly distributed, etc, but I don't find this to be the case. The options for deployment on crooked trees, forked trees, limbs in the way, etc., with the separate sticks, as others have related, outweigh the benefits of a solid ladder to the top, in my opinion - with seperate sticks there are fewer limitations in deployment situations. In fact, I have a ladder type stick setup from another manufacturer that I'd give away at this point because it requires a straight, unobstructed path to the top to deploy successfully.

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  12. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  13. myot

myot Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a set of Millennium sticks and I don't really like how close they are to the tree. Makes it kind of awkward for climbing

Dan

14. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just use the screw in pegs, just gotta take them out at the end of the season otherwise they get stuck in the tree. Getting some of the new xop sticks this summer for my mobile setup

15. SharpEyeSam

Dislikes Received:
    I have never had that issue, but I don't have large feet either. :tu:

16. MO Shorthair

MO Shorthair Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use a stand set up that has the receiver (pods) that the stand attaches to. I put a receiver at several stand locations and then I pull the stand down at the end of each hunt. I don't want to get to the bottom of the tree and find out that someone has stolen my receiver so I have started using two muddy climbing sticks and then I have screw in steps. I can take the sticks and stand with me. Makes it a little lighter pack in and also quieter and less work getting into the tree before day break. Since I don't know what the wind will be on any given hunt it makes it more cost effective and allows me to be flexible in my hunting set up. Steps vs. Ladder (steps are cheaper). I like the 8" lag bolt idea from an earlier post, may try that this year.