Biologic Blind Spot

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by NEW61375, May 1, 2015.

1. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone ever planted any of this to screen along a property line or hide a blind? I like the idea and we have a lot of property line openings we have used sunflowers as a screen before but might try to add something like this.

So if anyone has planted this can you tell me what seed it's made up of? I just hate buying the name brand stuff like IW or Biologic even though this particular product isn't terribly expensive. Not knocking those companies just personal preference.

http://www.plantbiologic.com/p-294-blind-spot.aspx

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly Egyptian Wheat...Sorghum......sunflowers....even corn depending where you are planting and light all of them will do or a mix of them will do what you want.

3. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Are u wanting a permanent screen or something you replant each year?

4. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Permanent would work in 1 or 2 of the spots but in the 2 main ones they are located on power line right-of-ways so if we used hedge or trees there is the possibility they could be sprayed when the rest of the vegetation on the power line is sprayed so planting every year might be better there.

5. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For the spots permanent cover will work. I would recommend a row of austree hybrid willows next to a row of Russian olive. The willows will grow 10ft the first year. Then by the they get 25 ft tall, the olive will be thick and about 10-15 ft tall and you can thin or remove the willows. For annuals, the biologic mix you asked about works well, but as mentioned, Egyptian wheat or plain corn works just as well.

6. nutritionist

nutritionist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Egyptian wheat is basically sorghum but most companies will either put a fancy name on a bag to justify price or to create a blend.

What i did sort of by accident and it worked outstanding is use a mix of
    wgf grain sorghum
    forage sorghum
    buckwheat
    japanese millet
    german millet

the wgf sorghum gives food for birds as does the millets. The millets will give one 4-6 ft tall over as will the wgf grain sorghum. The forage sorghum will grow tall like egyptian wheat. All for about $10 for 5 lbs. So, ive had numerous tags shown to me and the posters above summed it up really well...

If one only wants one species you can buy some great sorghum for $40 per 50 lb bag that will grow real tall. There are some of these sorghums that look just like corn but without the ears. Way cheaper than corn , if one is just looking for price point.

For people down south, i am more than happy to steer you towards a couple options.

7. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If permanent cover desired I agree with the willows/russian olives....I've had a lot of people also have great luck with hybrid poplars...after year 2 top cut them and let them bush up for lower cover. Awesome technique for some quick cover, hybrid willows are awesome as well.