Love/Hate relationsip with Bowtech

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by patjoedav, Apr 29, 2015.

1. patjoedav

patjoedav Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So this might be a long story but I figure Ill share it anyways...

Rewind to beginning of January this year, I purchase a diamond carbon cure #70 RAK package. Get it all set up ready to go and I am very happy with the bow. Shooting great, great upgrade for a good price. About three weeks to a month later I notice some significant serving separation around where the module makes contact with the cable at full draw. Take another couple of shots and it tears completely. I stop shooting and bring it to my bow shop. Being as it is so new they call Bowtech and get a brand new cable sent out under warranty and Bowtech also sends a new module thinking maybe there is a small burr somewhere on it. Few weeks later its installed at the shop bows back to shooting great. Few days later serving separation again and serving is tearing, bring it back in and the my bowshop takes it to hold and figure out. Bowtech requests bow shipped back to them. Week or so later they send the bow back to us with a new "updated" module, cam, and cable. Quick turn around, good service, I am happy. Get the bow back to the shop yesterday and everything looks that same with the exception of yet another new cable. Fire it in the shop about a dozen times and you guessed it serving damage almost right away. Now I'm getting frustrated. Bowshop frustrated, Bowtech seems to be upset (understandably.) Between the three of us all we can think is that with my draw length (27.5") it doesn't suit well with this particular design (to much stress on the serving in that module position) even though they say the bow goes down to 27". After some back and forth they decide to send me the new carbon icon (same MSRP as my bow). All the while turkey season started here in MA Monday. Bowshop feels bad about how long this has all taken and decide to throw on a QAD drop away at a extreme discount price (we had been talking about it) also decided to give me the one off the rack and keep the new one instead of making me miss another week of the season. What frustrated me about all this is how long it has taken and missing a couple days (not the end of the world but its annoying.) But I will not complain because I end up with a newer better bow and a drop away for practically nothing. Great service from my shop, good guys, nice to have them stand up for me and get it done. Poor design and marketing from Bowtech but great customer service to make it right in the end. Just got off the phone with the shop and they say the thing is shooting like a dream....END of rant, happy hunting boys

2. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Glad you got some resolution. I am a firm believe a good dealer is the difference between a good or bad bow company customer service experience.

I'd be willing to bet the problem was Octane strings are junk anymore. Love the bows, hate the strings. I replace them almost immediately.

This was my RPM a week after I bought it brand new. I didn't bother getting it fixed, I just had Hutch at Bowstring Depot make me a set.

[​IMG]

3. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bummer about missing out part of the season, but thankfully it was resolved in a good manner.

Good to know though, as we were looking at Bowtech for my husband.

4. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Go kill a bird... :bow:

5. parkersdad

parkersdad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You need to have a back up bow I kept one of my older bows in case this ever happens. Good luck in the future.

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The strings that come on the mid level bows suck.

7. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not just mid level. When I bought my RPM it was the flagship. They still sucked.

8. the wanderer

the wanderer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Stories like this continue to pop up with Bowtech products. I've dealt with it personally with limbs cracking. More than one set. Bowtech seems to lack in quality with their bows. I'm looking forward to getting a new bow when I can justify spending the money.

9. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have owned three Bowtech bows in a row with zero issues (other than strings obviously). I consider strings wearable items and change them on any bow. Spend any time on archery sites and there are plenty of threads with complaints about stock strings on many bows, Mathews and Hoyt included.

10. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot nothing but Bowtech since 2005 and have been a very pleased customer. I had one issue, with a Destroyer where the limb delaminated. Bowtech replaced both limbs within a week. I currently shoot an Experience and love the bow. So far so good. The fact that Bowtech continued to work with you on the recurring issues until it was resolved speaks volumes in my opinion. Their CS gets a bad rap over on AT and I'm guessing more often than not, its the customer, not the company. Its very hard to tell on an internet forum what is truth and what is fabricated. I'm glad to see they fixed you up.

This Experience is my first Bowtech with the Octane strings. So far, they've held up just fine. I'll be keeping an eye on them however.

I disagree however with the comment that their quality isn't as good. They use the same materials and vendors everyone else uses. I do feel that sometimes, their manufacturing QA might need a look or their designers may need better testing and QA however. Every so often a particular model at very particular settings or setup has a glitch. They're not the only ones. Just the ones who get bashed the most for it. Ever since Bowtech got big, the Matthews folks have been quite butt hurt. :lol:

11. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well, at least you got things squared away, missing a couple days sucks, but when you nail the bobbler, youll forget all about it! Cant wait to see the pics of your successful hunt, best of luck!

12. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    For the record, my butt feels great.

13. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I certainly don't see Mathews or Hoyt losing any of their market share to Bowtech... I've owned 3 Bowtechs in my life, my 06 allegiance was great. The 82nd limbs splintered and the 101st was better, but no allegiance. I think that if Bowtech had local reps, it would help their cause greatly, I've seen shops sell Bowtech that no other bow manufacturer in their right mind would deal. So poor shops or techs translates directly to the manufacturer.

My butt feels great also :D

14. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had the same issue on my Experience, but the issue was resolved when I upgraded the strings with BSD!

15. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I knew that Mathews comment would get some replies :) .

For the record I am not fanboy. I really like how the HTR shoots and came very close to selling my 360 to buy one. But decided I have this bow shooting so nice I am hanging on to it for at least this season. Maybe longer, it really is one of the best shooting bows I have shot. At least at my draw length, I hear longer than 29" and folks don't like the draw so much.

16. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Never have had an issue with my destroyer or any other BT I have owned so I have no idea how their CS is.

17. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I"m no fanboy either, but knowing the forum sponsor and a couple of guys here, its fun to get their attention. :lol:

Dubbya, you bring up a great point about shops in general. I know I have a local Mathews dealer that is second to none. The best service I've ever seen and extremely knowledgeable. If Mathews ever comes out with a bow I really liked, I'd buy from them in a heart beat.

I also have a Bowtech dealer, which is where I buy mine from that I would never let touch the bow if they had to work on it. When I buy from them, I request a new in box bow. Case in point, when I had that issue with the Destroyer, they fixed it and it shot perfectly fine. But knowing they worked on it, I sold it and bought a new bow.

18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Dang that is a bad reputation for a bow shop to have. I bought my BT because the local shop was a dealer, the guy who owns the shop and does the work owns the same bow I do so he knows how to tune it like a fine instrument.

19. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I also want to add that I believe Bowtech did a d-bag business decision in Central Minnesota when they allowed Archery Country to set up shop in Rogers. It took out at least 2 Archery stores that I know of and the line from my local shop.

20. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    So they should have told one of their largest dealers in the country (at the previous stores), and either the first or second largest mathews dealer, top 5 in LOTS of products, that pays bills on time, has quality techs and ownership "no" we won't let you set up in Rogers? That would be a terrible business decision... Just my $.02

Coop, I'll be the first to admit... there are plenty of Mathews bows that I've shot and didn't care for. I really liked my z7xtreme the best, didn't like my Helim at all, really liked the Chill and my HTR is close to on par with the z7x. I have a dog named Hoyt too, if that counts for anything :D