Mid Mid West food plots.

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Sota, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Dry as a bone over most of Minnesota can't get more than a trace of rain. How long can the seed sit in the ground with no rain before there are germination issues?

2. Davebow8181

Davebow8181 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If the Ground is powder dry the seed could sit awhile without problem. It would be bad to get just enough rain for germination and then dry out again though. It is still early....maybe keep an eye on the forecast and plant before a real good chance of rain.

3. nutritionist

nutritionist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The problem isn't seed sitting on the ground but seed that germinates then doesn't get rain. For example when my clients dormant seed native grasses in the late fall, they sit on the ground til they germinate in the spring.

That being said some seeds can tolerate more than others. Hard seeds like clovers vs more of the grasses......

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Dormant being the key word, the seed is put down by most plotters after the ground thaws.

5. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There is a lot more moisture in the ground than you'd think. At least in my neck of the woods. We have more 4" soil moisture right now then we did in 2012 and 2014.

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Right now in my area the moisture level in large diameter dead tree branches laying on the ground is at 16% that is pretty low. Ground moisture is low enough where undisturbed peat is starting to burn if a fire rolls over it. I spent the other evening and next morning getting the irrigation system set up for the food plot, no need to worry about rain now.