hanging your bow in tree

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by dartonbows, Apr 28, 2015.

1. dartonbows

dartonbows Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys ive been archery hunting for 4 yrs now ive always kept my bow in my lap but now thatcim getting more involed in the hunt as far as calling glassing the whole 9 yrds i need opinions do you guys hang ur bow on a bow hanger if so what kind how high im a righty so what side need some input

2. jemcmichael

jemcmichael Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I personally screw in my bow hanger about head high on my left side. That way the bow handle is at the right height when I stand. Also, at that height I can typically shoot under it if I'm shooting down.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

SouthDakotaHunter likes this.
  3. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It really depends I do both.

- If I am in a stand with good cover and can move around a little I use a bow hanger that I just screw into my tree. Take the bow hanger with me for my other trees.

- If I am in close quarters where deer have the ability to slip up on me I usually clip the bow string to my belt loop using a small cheap carabiner.

- If I am hunting a climbing stand that has a bar around me like my Summit does then I just rest the bow on that - no real reason for me to have bow hook. It makes things a little tight at times but I don't do a whole lot of moving around in my climbing stands.

4. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't use a screw in bow hanger. My set-up consists of a bow-holding device offered by Third Hand Man. I have one on both my climbing and ladder stands. I have them attached to the stands on the left side (I'm right-handed) and there is extremely limited movement on my part to get into a shooting position.

5. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    x2 Third hand Man on all my stands

6. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The Hawk bow hangers are the best I seen yet...

Bone Head Hunter likes this.
  7. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^THIS^

8. MTSCMike

MTSCMike Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Me too

9. parkersdad

parkersdad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The problem with the thirdhand bow holders in my opinion is they weigh more than my Lonewolf hand climber. I just take a hook and when I'm tired I hang it on there but most of the time I put my bow in my lap

DarkTater likes this.
  10. cg2737

cg2737 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If I'm using my LW ain't and climb I use the third hand bow holder. I climb with the bow in the holder. My hand climber and other stands I bring cheap screw in bow holders.

11. Rogue6

Rogue6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use Hangers for my tree stands and a Ground holder for my Popup blind Both off to my left for ease of reach. Note if you have trouble getting the Screw in type in the tree use a small pilot hole with a portable drill works every time on a semi permenant stand anyways.

12. Mnrecurve

Mnrecurve Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use a screw in arm so I can adjust to the perfect position. My only problem is that s that I forget to take them with me and can't always remember what tree they are in.

13. LowbanksArcher

LowbanksArcher Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use a folding bow arm. Screw it in about eye level, and the bow tends to be in a comfortable elevation for me.

14. James saunders

James saunders Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I come up with a design that allows you to do both and it also holds the weight of the bow in a shooting position. This hanger is always attached to the bow and follows the bow in both the horizontal and vertical direction. Since it uses a string between a pivoting arm and the bow it does not restrict the motion of the bow when you finally take a shot. The advantage of this design is that you can be in a shooting position and it supports the weight of the bow. Eliminates the stress on the arm. Here is a link to a video.

15. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I generally try and keep my bow on the left side too, just makes it easier to grab for the shot... Sometimes tree's may have branches or something in the way though so if that's the case in that setup I don't sweat it and just put it on the other side...

16. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't use a screw-in hook either, my LW sit and climb has a built-in bow holder in the platform, that I love. It keeps my bow right in front of me, so I don't need to reach for it.

17. James saunders

James saunders Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I think I may not have explained the advantage of my custom made hanger well enough. In all the situations you described you have to remove the bow from the hanger and then hold the bow. What if you get your bow in a shooting position (arm extended all the way out) and the deer stops, you have to hold the weight of the bow and normally I can't hold my arm extended for a couple of minutes. With the custom design I can keep my arm extended for an infinite amount of time since the bow hanger is still attached and holding the weight of the bow.

18. James saunders

James saunders Newb

Dislikes Received:
    You can do a simple experiment to see what I am talking about by just taking you current bow hanger and some string. See illustration below. I made my arm adjustable so I can put it out to where my hand would be if I was shooting. The reason for the string going through the loops is it keeps the bow from swinging. Mount the hanger about a foot above your head and adjust the string length so the bow is about the height you would shot at. Now just let the bow hang. You will have to hold it with a finger or hand to keep it from spinning. Next hold the bow with your arm extended and see how easy it is to hold. Now you can pull back and see how it does not interfere with your motion. Another advantage is that even though you pivot arm only go rotate so much this bow hanger does not limit your shooting range. To demonstrate this just lengthen the string by maybe a foot or two and try to position the bow in a shooting position behind you. This area is demonstrated by the hashtag area in the figure. You can Now try rotating and try making a shot behind you. You will see that you can go past the rotation of the pivoting arm and still make a shot.

upload_2019-3-13_16-47-50.png

19. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I always keep my bow in hand. I don't plan on missing an opportunity to shoot because I wasn't ready.

20. Meat

Meat Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Keep mine in my lap and never stand to shoot unless no other option. The less the movement the better for me. I have no trouble rattling or calling with my bow in my lap.

Meat