XOP vs. Lone Wolf?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by davidingle, Apr 27, 2015.

1. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Who has used both and what is your opinion? Ive seen old threads about the chinese stands and all the recall and what not.

2. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    the same guy andre d aquisto is involved with both stands. he must have retained some of the patent rights from when he invented the lone wolf. then he and his kids started xop. they restarted the show whitetail addictions now using the xop stands instead of lone wolf this time. if he is involved with both, then I will say that lone wolf and xop are the same stands. now it looks like lone wolf is starting to copy muddy a bit with their new stand. I predict that lone wolf will have to lower the price some or xop will crush them. I have a lot of lone wolf stands but am now going to switch to the xop since it is the same stand pretty much. xop is sold at field and stream and when on sale they sell for $150 for the alpha size stand.

3. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just notice this stand. They are very identical. Wow its like father and son aka lone wolf and xop

4. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Close but not exactly. He left Lonewolf a long time ago. But he began helping XOP with his son and when his patent at Lonewolf expired they used his design to start manufacturing their own cast platforms instead of just selling the old stock Chinese Lonewolf stands. Now they are expanding on that design making changes for the newest models. I do think Lonewolf either needs to start making some changes in design or price to stay competitive with XOP stands. Of course XOP keeps raising their prices so we'll see how that plays out in the future.

I am still a Lonewolf fan, I prefer to support American made products when I can and will pay more to do so. But that is my choice and in no way do I think others need to do what I do.

5. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I got some XOP sticks... .love them!

Sent from my XT830C

6. davidingle

Dislikes Received:
    I have one of their stands, waiting on the new sticks that are coming out this summer they look pretty sweet. I have never used a lone wolf but I imagine they are very similar plus xop is from my home state of Iowa

7. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    just picked up two lone wolf alpha IIs. Have not hunted out of them yet but they are very light. Will have to check out XOP now. Thanks for sharing that.

8. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just checked with XOP and was advised that the new sticks come out in July. Think i'm going to sell my lone wolf sticks and get myself the new ones and the Air Raid to go with it. I'm glad they came out with quick connect as well like lone wolf did. Its more like a bracket that you slide the stand on. Either way it makes putting the stand on the tree easier since you don't have to hold it and fight to stay on the tree without falling.

9. velvetcrush

velvetcrush Newb

Dislikes Received:
    hunted out of a Lone Wolf sit and climb twice and loved it. Bought the XOP version last year, and love this stand.
    If you're into climbing stands its the way to go- probably the lightest weight on market, comfortable to sit for hours.
    It's quiet, so long as you understand how to pack it up with straps and bungees.
    Cons:
    1. a little tricky to adjust the sling seat while your 15-18 feet in the air.
    2. The plastic click in style clips for securing the backrest as well as the platform to the seat are cheap and slip easily. I went and bought some heavy duty ones at ACE hardware and singed the end of the straps so they cant slide off...problem solved

10. davidingle

Dislikes Received:
    Good I've been checking their site pretty frequently waiting for them!

11. WKPTodd

WKPTodd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Lone Wolf - the best quality!!!

12. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    XOP, lone wolf was purchased years ago, the new owners have done nothing innovative with the product until this year now that XOP is pushing them. I'll support the designer of the product with my money.

13. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How so? How can you say the quality of one is better than the other? I have had a good bit of issues with Lone Wolf products over the years. I do not own any XOP stuff but would try them out now that they are making their own stuff.

14. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I got some 32" XOP sticks....really like them.

Sent from my XT830C

15. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This will be a very interesting thing over the next couple of years. Lone Wolf has always been... well, alone with the cast platform. Now that others are also building them, competition will either breed new and innovative products, or the prices will stop ballooning. I love my Wide Sit and Climb, but if someone designs a better mousetrap, I'm in.

16. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Is it necessarily bad that a stand or sticks are made in China. I'm seriously thinking about getting the XOP Air Raid and the new sticks that come out in July. They are made in China from what I have read on the XOP Facebook page. Should I let that be a deciding factor on determining if I get a Lone wolf hang on stand or the XOP?

17. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Only you can decide that. Seems to me that lots of folks talk about wanting to stimulate the economy, buy American, yadda yadda but when it comes time to put their money where their mouth is they let price be the deciding factor. I'm certainly guilty of that from time to time myself.

All things equal in terms of quality I'd rather support a company that is keeping US workers employed, even if it means spending a few extra bucks. That's not to say I buy 100% American all the time but I certainly try to when I can.

I don't think you can go wrong either way in terms of quality and functionality. For all intents and purposes they're the same stand - one is made in the US and one isn't.

18. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Lone Wolf tried moving production overseas and came back to American Made after a lot of backlash from consumers and a bit lower quality. They're not produced in America by Lone Wolfs choice, if it would have worked out they'd be made elsewhere.

19. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll stick with Lone Wolf. It helps that I can get them cheaper then XOP on eders.com thanks to that awesome deal they gave on here! I think it's 20% off all Lone Wolf products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Or.. you can go on craigslist and buy a used LW. You'll spend less and, at the most, will only have to replace the straps.