Sell me on a drop away rest

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by patjoedav, Apr 26, 2015.

1. patjoedav

patjoedav Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I think its just me but I guess I just don't understand what everyone else knows about these things? Everyone I talk to who is serious about bowhunting swears by them. Right now I'm just running the cheap toothbrush looking rest, that hasn't done me wrong yet. To me simpler is better. Hunting in the northeast I can remember several damp around freezing days that would have made me think maybe the drop away could freeze up on me. I'm a firm believer less that can go wrong less that will go wrong. But maybe I'm just not understanding all the hype. Can someone please learn me the benefits and maybe change my mind?

2. Longstriker

Longstriker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here's my testimonial for the Schaffer Opposition Lite arrow rest which was designed by John Schaffer in Burnsville, Mn., my home town. The Schaffer Opposition is super strong and bullet proof. It will work under the most extreme conditions, and it doesn't have to be reset after every shot like a QAD drop-away rest does. I've shot hundreds of arrows with it on my bow and have never even thought about it. I can use arrows of varying diameters without having to make any adjustments. Do yourself a solid and check out his videos on YouTube, it's hard not to be convinced.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  3. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    There are no valid arguments that claim a drop away is better.

Are they different? Yes.
    Do some people prefer them? Yes. If you're curious should you try one for yourself? Yes.

Personally, I tried one for a while and went back to a Whisker Biscuit. My opinion is that simple is better as long as performance is equal.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

4. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    After years of using a TM Hunter prong rest, I thought the Whisker Biscuit was the best thing since sliced bread. I've put drop aways on all my bows, only to revert back to a WB on a couple. I have a new bow on order, and for some reason, decided to put the new Ripcord on that doesn't drop on let down of the bowstring after being at full draw. Why did I choose to put another drop away on? Who knows. A reason is because the new bow will be a turbo model, I want to keep all the speed on it I can - like it really matters in the first place...

Can't go wrong with a WB - good rest and pretty much fool proof. And they are just as accurate a rest for bowhunting scenarios as much as the drop aways are. Trying a drop away will be a matter of personal choice.

5. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The trophy taker smackdown pro is awesome. Easiest one I've set up, more consistent, quieter, and durable. The limb driven takes the timing cable out so you don't have to worry about that. They are a lot more expensive than a wb so personal preference I guess.

6. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot what you are comfortable with is the best advice I can give. Drop aways have their advantages but so do other rest. At the ned of the day you have to have confidence in your equipment else we tend to blame our own mistakes on said equipment.

If what you have is working for you and you like it there is no need to switch. I personally prefer drop aways due to the fact that its on there long enough to support the arrow. It lessens the chance of contact with the rest and reduces drag on the arrow. I can shoot one pretty accurately so I like it.

Either way continue to have fun shooting and if you do decide to change keep asking questions. Lots of good people here to help,.

7. Lady Liberty

Lady Liberty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My Bow Tech installed a QAD Ultra Rest for me and I love it, but his recommendation for HUNTING is a whisker biscuit...less to go wrong. If you do go with a dropaway have it installed by a tech and go with their recommendation according to your unique needs and your bow.

8. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah make sure you get it set up right, a poorly tuned rest leads to all kinds of problems

9. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Iv never shot a drop away. but the whisker biscuit beats the crap out of the vanes if you shoot alot.... thats the only downside i see.

10. MTSCMike

MTSCMike Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt with a Ripcord Code Red...benefits? Helps if you have a tendency to torque your bow because the arrow is not held by anything that could alter its flight when you release. I also think they are quieter than rests that require the vanes to pass through something. Other than that the biggest benefit is they let you spend more money and who doesn't like that?

11. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No surface area being touched to cause drag like other rest