Just getting into compound bow Hunting / Advice appriciated

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by dudz, Apr 25, 2015.

1. dudz

dudz Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Just bought a used LH 2011 pse compound bow, x-force axe 6 . Set up for me at 30" draw / 65lbs

Equipped with Trophy Ridge Smackdown Pro rest and Montana Black Gold Rush 7 pin sight. Going to use a finger release with D ring.

I have had compounds before, but never hunted with them, and didn't make my own arrows up.

I am about to order : Easton Bloodline 400 shafts with Easton H nocks ( AMO length 31" ) / Bohning Impulse Vanes - 4" / 100gr Easton Deep Six Screw In Field Points for target use - and fixed screw in Broadheads 100 to 150g for hunting.

Is this a good place to start ?. I want to use the same arrows for target and hunting until I have more exp.

When I get good results on paper for a while, I want to hunt Deer and boar occasionally

2. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think you should go with the 330 spine arrows

3. dudz

dudz Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  4. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hi dudz :wave:
    Welcome to the forum and the site.
    Don't purchase Deep Six field tips or broadheads! Easton Bloodline Arrows do not accept them.

5. dudz

dudz Newb

Dislikes Received:

Ooooh...good shout. I suppose Easton HP glue in points then, but what about broadheads ?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  6. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here's the info on the Easton Bloodline arrows:

http://www.eastonhunting.com/products/arrows/bloodline-realtree

If you have an archery shop close by... drive on over and get some help on setting up your bow to you with appropriate equipment and accessories (arrows, etc). Bloodline arrows use HP inserts... the shop will be able to make arrows w/field tips to fit you.

7. dudz

dudz Newb

Dislikes Received:

Thanks. There is not an archery shop within 100kms of here, plus they do not stock Easton shafts, only some European rubbish. I have to use the internet for my supply's. I am using http://www.merlinarchery.co.uk/ who do stock the shafts, but it does not state what broadheads (that they sell) are compatible http://www.merlinarchery.co.uk/arrows/arrow-points/broadheads.html

Maybe I need one of these inserts to fit the above broadheads to the Easton Bloodline shafts ? ;http://www.merlinarchery.co.uk/arrows/arrow-points/point-inserts.html

Ah....my mistake, it does actually state "HP inserts included" with the 330 shafts. So this will fit most Broadheads ???

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  8. dudz

dudz Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ok....found it.... for Easton 330 and 400 Bloodline shafts = Ballistic RPS Screw In Point - 9/32

9. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A 400 spine will be too weak with your specs. Don't get the deep six as said above. I would go to a pro shop and have them set you up with a correct arrow fitted for you and your bow

10. almightynut

almightynut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yea that's kinda long for 400spine 330 would be good for you

11. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Check out www.huntersfriend.com
    I don't know if they ship internationally... but if they do - you've found a goldmine of information and products.

You need arrows? We have thousands upon thousands of popular carbon arrows from Beman, Carbon Express, Easton, and Victory. Every arrow is painstakingly hand-built - we never sell machine fletch arrows. Plus we include professional shaft trimming and insert installation free of charge. So when your arrows arrive, they're the correct length AND they're 100% ready-to-shoot. Every arrow we sell also comes with practice tips (field points) installed. You choose the grain weight you prefer and we match the diameters to your shafts. So when you receive your arrows from Hunter's Friend, there's nothing else for you to buy or install. All you have to do is shoot!

12. RalphEwell

RalphEwell Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Which types of hunting equipment are you using for hunting?