Practicing Ranges?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by AJBowhunter, Apr 24, 2015.

1. AJBowhunter

AJBowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm just curious what some of you guys practice at, and what your reasonings are. Personally, I like to practice as far as my skills will let me. Right now I can hold a 5 - 6" group out to 100 yards, at least until I'm tired. Then it all goes to crap haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    max range I pratice at is 50 yds... at that I'm standing on the edge of the street shooting down my driveway.... any farther and I'm standing in the street, and I have this strange aversion to getting run over

3. Longstriker

Longstriker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Luckily I have a 60 yard practice range that's only ten minutes away from my house. image.jpg The residents of my neighbourhood get nervous when people start walking around with a compound hunting bow. I can't put a handful of arrows into a 6" target at 100 yards yet, but Ill keep practicing

4. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    20, 30 and 40 yards is what my 3 pin sight is set at... So That's what I practice at.

5. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Currently I shoot out to 40, working my way up to shooting pie plate sized groups at 60+ yards.

6. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When I was 12 I got my first bow I had a crap three pin sight and just for fun I would back up as far as I could (about 50ish yards) and I would aim with the bubble level on the sight. I could hold a pretty good group too, it was maybe 4 inches.

7. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Same here. I don't plan on taking a shot at a deer past 25-30 yards being I shoot a lower poundage so I see no reason to practice longer shots.

8. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I used to do 60 since that is all the pins I had. Now that I moved to the HHA I now shoot at 70 and 80. Just to work out form and consistency issues or at least to identify them I should say. I use the inch per 10 yards rule. 8 inch groups at 80 yards.

9. kern06

kern06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think 5-6" groups at a hundo is pretty impressive. I'm usually pretty happy with anything that falls within the 1" per 10 yd rule. Right now I shoot 3 arrows off my front steps at 70 yards every time I step outside. Once the weather gets nice enough and the time of my practice sessions increase I will increase my distance. Would like to get out to 100. Love watching those arrows fly long distance.

10. flip665

flip665 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    in my opinion from what ive read (and it makes absolute sense to me and will be my practice when i get a bow) its wise to practice longer ranges if possible because it magnifies your flaws and forces you to be better... if you practice out to 100 yards then 40 will never be a what if... certainly 20 would become a near guarantee... and you could fill a freezer at 10 with your eyes almost closed, and a leg tied behind your back...

11. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot out to 100yds. That's some fun shooting that really refines form. I can usually hold sub-8" groups at that distance. my "usual" practicing distance is 20-40

12. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Shooting longer makes the 20-30 yard shots feel like chip shots. I found when I started practicing at 50-60 yards, my 20 yard groups were so tight I can't shoot at the same spot twice. All my hunting shots are in the 20 yard range but I shoot out to 60 regularly, I would shoot farther if I had the room to do so.

13. rcowan

rcowan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    20-40

Anything over that for me is a guess.

RC

14. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I practice a lot between 60 - 100. I got my 20 and 30 pins dead on but I rarely practice at those distances. I always take a few shots before I walk out to the woods at 20 and 30 to make sure they are still on. I believe in practice double what you will shoot ( not that I am looking for 50 yard shots)

15. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have regular access to a range with anything over 40 yards so that makes it tough. Plus my 3 pins aren't going to get me past 40 anyways. Gotta make do with what I have.

Makes me curious as to how much arc an arrow would have with my 46 pound draw weight pushing it 80 yards. Heck, I wonder how much actual penetration I'd even get on a target at such distances.

16. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I practice out to 30 yards. But, my deer stands tend to be in the thick stuff where shots are limited to 20-25 yards max

17. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Out to 60 most times. Sometimes out to 80. Fun to shoot long practice shots. I used bubble on old sight for 80. Now have 1 pin slider and that makes longer shooting easier for me. It does make you focus more and shorter shots seem easier.

18. FullTimeKiller

FullTimeKiller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I usually practise from 60-100 anything in that area. I rarely shoot below 60, only time I do is when I plan on hunting that day and to double check everything is dialed in.

19. Longstriker

Longstriker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like shooting at a distance of at least 60yrds too. The Hogg Father really makes it fun and easy. It was kind of windy this afternoon with gusts up to 25mph. I've got a lot of practicing to do. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Maybe I should go back to 30.

20. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have the room to shoot out to 100 at my house, I vary my practice distance based on my mood. I would say 70% of my practice is 40 yards and under.

While its popular to shoot at longer distances with the mind set that it makes shorter shots easier, I don't believe this always the case. There is a lot to be said with reproducing your typical sight picture as much as possible.