Wind and turkey hunting

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by t8rsalad, Apr 23, 2015.

1. t8rsalad

t8rsalad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, I'm going to give it a shot turkey hunting this weekend. Looks like it may be windy. Do turkey wind you like a deer would or are they more sight based? I've seen turkey up and downwind while deer hunting and they never seem worried, but just wanted to see what everyone else thought on the subject. Thanks in advance for replies.

2. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nope I don't think for a second about scent control when turkey hunting. Only reason to worry would be to not bust some of your older deer out of the area or have a deer bust you while a bird is working your set up. From my best judgment, turkeys are a really stupid bird with great eyesight to their advantage. If you can fool the eyesight and hope there are no live hens insight you should be golden. Good luck shoot straight.

3. Rogue6

Rogue6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Only problem I have with the wind is depending on how strong it is it can effect your calling, if you know where they are coming from try and get the wind at your back so your not calling into the wind. Other than that I agree with CJ ^^^ Good luck!

4. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The wind will only affect your calling for the most point. Calling in the wind may spook a mature Tom but most jakes will respond due to curiosity.

5. tdk5525

tdk5525 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    On blustery days turkeys are difficult to call because they cannot hear you call. They will likely try to get out of the wind - look for a low spot. One of the windiest days I every turkey hunted I found 9 toms huddled behind a pile of rocks the size of a pickup! My buddy and I had to get within 80 yards of them before they could even hear us call. Only turkey I've ever shot left handed. Try your higher pitched calls....and call loud.

6. t8rsalad

t8rsalad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good advice. Thank you everyone. Hopefully by this time tomorrow, I'll be cooking a bird.