Falconry

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by BigPhil_H, Apr 23, 2015.

1. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone do this or know someone that does? I've been thinking about getting into it for a few months now and I'm really considering it once I get out of school.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It is very dedicated work you have to be there every day.

3. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  4. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My dad used to.. When my kids get a lil older and I have the time to dedicate I would love to do it.

5. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My uncle does! It definately takes a lot of time. He had to write a letter and get a sponsor before he could even be considered to have one. Once he got a sponsor he had to work with him a certain number of hours to be able to get his own bird. It was a slow process for him. They could come out at any time and inspect everything.

He is now a sponsor to someone else and is able to have (I believe) three birds. He currently only has one that he got from Arizona. He is hoping to catch either a white hawk or get an owl next.

I cannot get it to let me add a picture. I'll try back for that!

6. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    Where is Chenango Dave when ya need him.......

7. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    Probably out building a new firepit to go viral.......

8. BigPhil_H

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys. I have also heard that it takes a lot of time and commitment. I think anyone that endures the two year process of being an apprentice, they would truly have to be in love afterwards. I wish I could find someone around me to take me hunting a time or two

9. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Chenango Dave doesn't live too far from me... I 'oughta go visit him and Moka.

10. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yea, Moka is AWESOME!

11. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My father in law used to be very involved in falconry. It is a very big time commitment and responsibility as he got older he got out of it because he just didn't have the time for it anymore.

He would use a Vizsla when he hunted with his hawk. That's how I was introduced to the breed they are great falconry dogs.

12. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My best friend back in Kentucky has a redtail. It's a LOT of time/work upfront training them but honestly not a ton of work beyond that. You need to hunt them as much as possible, but it's not like a daily commitment by any means. You feed them every 1-3 days depending on their weigh ins. You weigh the bird in grams and find their perfect hunting weight. Too heavy and they are slower and not as motivated on the hunt (not hungry)... Too light and they are weak and get pushed around in the wind easier.

I went several times this winter with him and it was great fun. I didn't enjoy it enough to want one of my own, but it was a blast to tag along for.

13. BigPhil_H

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you all for your input, it's just something that I've been thinking about lately. Whether it will ever happen or not is a different question

14. Chenango Dave

Chenango Dave Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Phil, sorry I've haven't been on a whole lot here lately, been busy with work.

Yeah it is a lot of paperwork and costly to first get started. You need to have a sponsor that is willing to take you on as an apprentice. Then you have to take and pass a test given by your state. After that, you need to buy all your equipment and build a mews and have them inspected by the state before you can get your apprentice lisense. But after that fist year of going thru all that, it's not bad at all. after you've been an apprentice for two years and have a letter of recommendation from 2 general falconers you can be upgraded to General Falconer.

If you've never been out hunting with a hawk it's truly something to see. I have just as much fun, if not more, hunting with my hawk than I do deer hunting. It's definitely action packed. Seeing them chase and crash into brush piles after a rabbit is undescribable. You need to see it in person to appreciate it.

If your ever up around NY in the fall or winter give me a hollar and I'd take you out, you'd love it I'm sure. I'm still waiting on my buddy to edit a video of our hunts from last year. I gotta get on him about that.

15. BigPhil_H

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the info Dave. I've never been on a hunt; my uncle has a friend that said he would take me years ago, we just never got around to it. I'll have to get back up with him and see if it's something that I'd be willing to dedicate a lot of time and money to.