editing computer questions

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by huntalivesh23, Apr 22, 2015.

1. huntalivesh23

huntalivesh23 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm just wondering what's a good computer for editing and which software to use for good production quality videos. Brand? How much ram? And which editing software? I've heard that Mac is one of the easiest to use, but what is the most preferred by production editors

2. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Are you looking for a laptop or desktop? What kind of budget are you looking to spend? I just got a MSI laptop for that same reason and love it. Has way more memory and hd space then I could possibly need and they are priced great with awesome graphics card!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Your budget will be the biggest indicator. Then your goals.

Some questions to ask yourself are: What resolution are you shooting at, or plan to shoot at in the near future? Is portability important? How much time do I have to learn about my program?

I'm going into this season using Adobe Premiere (which is part of the Creative Cloud membership I already had), and I'm running everything on an iMac 5k.

What ever you get, you're going to want a lot of RAM, a fast processor and a fast graphics card.

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is the laptop I went with and I've been very impressed with it. Having the SSD's for the operating system is soooo nice. It takes less than 10 seconds to be fully booted and ready to go. I run Premier Pro CC on it and it handles it just find. It's not quite as fast as my custom built PC, but I find the convenience of the laptop outweighs the extra speed of the PC.

Amazon.com : MSI Computer GS60 GHOST PRO 4K-079 15.6-Inch Laptop : Computers & Accessories

5. TXhoghunter94

TXhoghunter94 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use adobe premiere pro now but I started with pinnacle for about $130 that worked well but was just slow and took awhile since I had to convert everything. I work with mainly AVCHD and MP4.

As for the computer, I built one that has an i7 4790k Intel processor, 256gb ssd for the operating system and programs, 3 T hard drive, geforce gtx 750ti graphics card, and 16gb of 2133 ram. With this setup, editing flies and takes about 1.5 seconds to render anything that you drop into your time line. I was able to build the computer for right around $1000 and it's worth every penny of it. Hope this helps and best of luck to you!

6. Melonhead1102

Melonhead1102 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I went the cheap route and bought a refurbished Dell T7500 workstation with Win7 Pro. Set me back a WHOPPING $400 and included a Xeon 5560 quad core 2.8GHz proc, 12GB of RAM, and a 1TB hdd. It came with a low end vid card and I took that out and put a GTX 550ti in it. I will be adding a second vid card, ssd raid set, and a second processor and memory board.

I'm using Lightworks right now for editing and have been pretty impressed with the functionaility of it. Absolutely blown away by what you get for it being freeware.

7. huntalivesh23

huntalivesh23 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I was kind of leaning toward a Mac laptop, I'm currently filming in 4k and have an opportunity to film for a tv show and need to put together some of my own edits for it. I have an older Dell laptop, but I need to new one to support 4k capabilities

8. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you're editing 4K and are looking at Mac laptops, I wouldn't get anything other than a MacBook Pro. Get as fast of a processor and as much RAM as you can afford to.

9. huntalivesh23

huntalivesh23 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the input guys