Beginner looking for help

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Freeburn6, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Freeburn6

Freeburn6 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey, I'm just looking for some information on compound bows and bowhunting, I'm fresh out of high school and have been hunting for awhile and looking to get into hunting deer and turkey with a bow. I've been looking at the Hoyt ignite, bear attitude, pse stinger were all package bows that were in my price range. My only problem was not knowing what to look for in a beginners bow and both the local shops I went to the staff were busy with it being a Saturday so I did not get to test fire any of the bows. Thanks in advance for any information!

2. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site! You have to shoot a few of them to see what feels best and most comfortable to you. It should be quiet, good speed (anything around 300 fps) and a high let-off (75% or Better). I hope this helps! :tu:

3. Freeburn6

Freeburn6 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It does a lot I wasn't sure what kinds of speeds should be expected from a bow so thank you !

4. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you can get to a pro shop on a week day during their non peek hours they will be able to spend some time with you and let you shoot some bows. They should be able to determine your draw length and make some solid suggestions.

5. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Where are you located bud?

6. Freeburn6

Freeburn6 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm from Ontario, Canada. But is there anything I should be looking for any features on bows ? What's a good draw weight and such ?!

7. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    anything over 40 is ok for Deer sized game, tho most use 55-70 lb draw for better penetration and quicker kills, any of the bows you mentioned above are fine packages for the starter... mid range bows with ok sites and rests. Shoot them each and see what fells best for you... just a word of advice.... Bowhunting is addictive... start with a mid range bow, and stay away for the low end stuff, or you'll be wanting to upgrade real soon and end up spending the money anyway... second.. the rest and sites on package bows are ok, but not great (whisker biscuit and 3 pin cheep sites)... once you start shooting you'll most likely want to upgrade those as well... also.. go thru an actual bow shop and try to stay away from the big box stores... they will be more inclined to help you out and make sure your happy with your purchase, and help you later with the upgrades you want... those big box stores will sell you anything they can to get you out the door, then forget about you...

8. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Don't get all caught up in the speed. That's how some guys will sell you a bow just to get your money. Yes speed can help but its not everything. If this is going to be a hunting bow then most bows will provide plenty of speed for what you want to hunt.

I would definitely go to a shop and pick out a couple that you like by first impressions and shoot them. You will be surprised by how the bows that were not so great feel great. The point is that you will really get a feel for what you like once you shoot a few different bows. When you test shoot the bow make sure the shop sets it up to your appropriate draw length and such as well. I've seen waaaaay to many shops where they have someone test fire a bow and its like 3" too long for them.

As far as poundage go's everyone is different. BUT, don't feel like you have to pull a million pounds. Shoot what is comfortable. You should be able to draw the bow almost straight back or by slightly raising the bow up and then pulling back. If you cant do that then lower the poundage a bit. this will also help when hunting as well because it requires less movement.

Some brands of bows to look at are Mathews (Especially their Mission line) They have some nice lower budget bows.
    I would also check out Hoyt or even a few of the PSE bows. Keep in mind when you go to a shop. They will knock other brands because they only sell 1 or 2 different brands and want you buy what they sell. So if possible go to 2 or 3 different archery shops that sell different brand bows. BUY A BOW THAT FITS YOU AND WHAT YOU LIKE IS THE MAIN FOCUS. Every bow has a different type of draw. Some are hard cams, some are soft. Some draw really smooth and some don't. Some have 65% let off and some have 85%

If you have any questions feel free to ask away. I just don't want to see you get screwed over by some sales chump who thinks he can sell bow just to sell it versus selling a bow that is exactly what the customer wants.

9. bigfootcali

bigfootcali Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I can only give my opinon on what u have used and from someone who has had a pse stinger I would highly suggest it.1 for the price of the package you can't beat what you get with it 2. I personally love the adjustability of there bows from dl to the draw weight is awsome 3. The bow shoots really well and really forgiving and pretty darn accurate.

10. Flyer7173

Flyer7173 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I can also agree with bigfootcali. I also shoot a PSE Drive LT and I love it. I haven't been shooting for very long and already it has me shooting tennis balls at 40 yards. LOL! Anyway, PSE is a good brand to go with for a starter bow, and it will grow with you. If yo have any questions about it just let me know.

11. Freeburn6

Freeburn6 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I was also looking at the Hoyt charger package tonight at a shop it felt nice. It was more pricey than the other bows I had been looking at before but I don't want to feel the new to buy another bow in a year or two I'd rather buy somthing now that I can continue using and not feel the need to want to change to a different bow. I understand after awhile I'll be upgrading sights and everything. Is there any brands or bows I should stay away from ? The information is great though guys I'm trying to learn as much as I can! Also the Hoyt ignite I was looking at the guy at the shop said it had a spongy backwall and it wouldn't be as consistent or accurate as others, what does that mean exactly ?!

12. bigfootcali

Dislikes Received:
    Can't go wrong with pse and the backwall on my pse drive is nice.

13. Freeburn6

Freeburn6 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What is the backwall though bigfootcali ?!?

14. bigfootcali

Dislikes Received:
    When you draw back and are at fulldraw your string won't creep backwards, it will stay solid if you have a good back wall others can correct meif I'm wrong.

15. Freeburn6

Freeburn6 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So when your at full draw that should be the maximum you can draw to ?!

16. Jordan86

Jordan86 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    . I agree wholeheartedly. I have a Mission Venture. Had it about 2 years now and I love it. Definitely a good mid range starter. Nothing against the others out there but Mission makes a great bow for the money. Like someone already said, get decent accessories too. I have upgraded to a drop away rest, and probably will get a better site soon as well. The starter package is just that. Start low with your draw weight. You'll want to be able to practice a lot and you can always increase it later. Good luck man, this stuff consumes you!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  17. Freeburn6

Freeburn6 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It truthfully has already consumed me I'm always researching and asking people about archery now ! I always thought gun hunting was where it was at, but about a month ago I thought about the challenge and how I Would have something new to practise and get good at and I was hooked really! Now it's just saving up money so I can afford all this once I find what I'm looking for !

18. Jordan86

Jordan86 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Lol Ya I grew up gun hunting. Nothing wrong with it, I just think bowhunting is more fun :D Last year I bowhunted right on through black powder and rifle season.

19. Freeburn6

Freeburn6 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well with how much this whole bow hunting thing is gunna cost me I'm gunna be shooting it and hunting with it as much as I possibly can

20. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Some bows have really aggresive cams. So when your at full draw it will feel like the string is really pulling hard and it wants to go off. Bows like this will make you tend to want to creep forward when your at full draw. Now their is nothing wrong with this type of bow its just that you would have to know that so you make sure your holding the bow back so you dont creep.

I just got a new mathews bows and one of the reasons I like it is because of the back wall. When your at full draw with a bow with a solid backwall it almost feels like the bow is holding itself back in a way. Kinda of like it locks itself in place to an extent. I would ask the shop if he can let you shoot a bow with a really solid backwall and you will then see what we mean.

I previously had a Hoyt Turbohawk. Its a 2010 bow. Its a very nice bow but i hated the backwalls on the hoyts. I felt like all the Hoyts were really spongy. I cant speak for some of the newer Hoyts though.