Practice, Practice, Practice

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by cantexian, Apr 20, 2015.

1. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot once or twice a week this time of year, typically on the weekends. I will ramp that up to three times a week over the summer and every day about a month or so before the season opens. The last couple of weeks I have been working on sighting in my new set up. The picture shows my average grouping at 40 yards from shooting on Saturday. Not bad considering it was only my third time shooting with the new set up. My goal is to cut this group in half by the start of season and be shooting this type of grouping at 60 by then. Is this realistic? With my old set up I never practiced past 40 and it was not this accurate. How often are you practicing right now? What is your accuracy goal?

40 yards 4182015.jpg

2. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good shooting! Right now I just wanna be able to shoot my bow hopefully by july. I`m coming off a tough shoulder surgery in March. Keep the pics coming, it keeps my spirits up!!

3. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You're well on your way and there is nothing wrong with you expectations. Remember the old adage of "perfect practice makes perfect". Too many times I find myself shooting for the sake of shooting not not really focusing like I should. You can shoot every day, just don't shoot 60 arrows every day. Limit it to half that, maybe less and make each and every shot count as if you're only shooting one arrow.

4. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good shooting man!

If I can hit a pie plate at 20 yards I'm good...LOL. I'm kidding, but that is a common size judge for some archers though, my neighbor is one of them. He kills deer every year with his bow, so it must work.

I am pretty particular about my shooting. I shoot several days a week year round except in extreme weather. If I can shoot at the same spot at 20 and not smack arrows then I don't feel like I am shooting good enough. I seldom shoot groups due to this because it can be hard on arrows, but once in awhile I use it as a test to check my consistency and form.

5. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear it. Heal up quick. Take the Physical Therapy seriously, it will be the difference between your being ready or not in time for next season. If you need help with an exercise program after the therapy is over let me know.

6. jkembry58

jkembry58 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Very good thread. Picked up my bow and some arrows yesterday and hit the range. I think I did okay from 20 yards. I guess I should say I have never bow hunted, so my questions may be a bit basic. The first of which is this, as far as site pin setting, what is considered a normal way of setting them? I was thinking 20, 40, and 60 yards. I do have a 4 pin site, so I am guessing the fourth would be at 80, although I don't think I would attempt anything at that distance. And I am planning on hitting the range 2 -3 times a week to develop muscle memory and improve technique. Are there any other things I should be working on?

Jeff Embry

7. crohunter

crohunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    sunday practice on 60 yards with my bear..
    DSC03747.jpg

8. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Nice shooting!

9. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    I am far from an expert. It would depend upon what you hunt and where. Personally, I try to be capable of making a "kill shot" on a target from twice the distance I would shoot a live animal at. So if I want to kill at deer at 30 yards or less than on a target I would want to consistently hit a pie plate at 60 yards. With my old set up I only hunted White-Tails and practiced out to 40, so I limited my hunting shots to 25 or less. With new bow I plan to hunt elk and moose in addition to White-Tails so I am working on extending my range. I intend to hit pie plate sized groups at 80, maybe out to 100 by September. If I can do that I will consider my effective range to be 50 to 60 in a hunting scenario. As for sitting pins, I now shoot a single-pin adjustable. I used to shoot a 5-pin sight and the the pins set at 20, 30, 40, and 50. I did not use the fifth pin.

10. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Jeff,
    Depending on your setup most people set the top pin to 20, next to 30, 40, 50. In Maryland if you are hunting you would not need much more than that. I have a movable sight and shoot at further ranges but limit my shots while hunting to 40. Mainly due to thick south east woods.

Sounds like you got it down, muscle memory and consistency. Good luck.

11. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    cantexian,
    Groups are looking good. Keep at it and you should be able to do what you want. :tu:

12. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice shooting! As soon as I kick this cold I will be back out tuning my new setup

13. Jordan86

Jordan86 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice shooting OP!
    I spent all summer last year shooting every night, it really helped my accuracy and endurance. This year I don't have a range as close so I am making do with 8yds in my garage. I figure it's worth it to practice my form since it's so close. I try to focus on a perfect release every time. I also do it to stay strong so when I do get to the range I don't fatigue as quick. 50yd group and 30yd group. image.jpg image.jpg

14. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you so much, I appreciate the help!! They have me going to PT 3 times a week, so its gonna be a while before I can pick up the bow. I will definatly ask you for some help and advice, thanks again my friend, Glenn.

15. Longstriker

Longstriker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been practicing at 60 yards a lot. It's really helping my pre-shot routine and solidifying my technique. I'm slowly getting more consistent groups. Practice Practice Practice!

16. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a lot more than most people I know. 60 shots min a day. It is usually closer to 80-100 shots. I shoot everyday and take a day off once every two weeks or so. I also tournament shoot and am attempting to shoot competitively on the national level so the level of accuracy I need to achieve is pretty high. If can't shoot outside, I shoot on scaled down Vegas faces in my house. I shoot my target set up every day. When it's hunting season or coming up on hunting season I shoot my hunting setup until I am comfortable with it and switch back and forth from the two bows.

My accuracy goal is the same for both. I want my arrows touching out to 60yd if I am shooting groups. Most of the time I do not shoot groups. Arrows are expensive and I do not enjoy building them as much as I use to. Most of the time I am shooting at dots that are 1"-1.5" or so and I want to be able to hit the dot or be touching the dot out to 60yd. Not every shot does but, I want it within an inch of the dot if not. I don't think I will every be satisfied with my shooting. I am happy with my shooting most of the time but, not satisfied. That's what keeps driving me to practice daily. I am in competition with me and obsessed with being the best I can.

17. jeremy421

jeremy421 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I live in NH I use 3 pins set at 20, 30, 40. Anything beyond that doesn't come up very often. I really only like to shoot 30. 90% of all my bow kills have been 20 yards or closer

18. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll start shooting in August. I prefer to spend more of my free time figuring out where I can kill a buck next fall.

19. Jordan86

Jordan86 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    image.jpg

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  20. MistaWondaBread

MistaWondaBread Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot ever day. Its made me such a better shot! Keep practicing man! Its worth it