Advice for a First Timer

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Marauder, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Everyone,

This is the first time that I will go turkey hunting, and I'm pretty stoked about it! Last night my uncle said that I could go with him and my aunt. He said he has the blinds set up and he'll do the calling. Now we're in Central Wisconsin and will be set up in two different blinds. One that is directly in the woods, and one that is located on the corner of a field. My uncle was filling me in last night with some basics and today I've been watching videos, researching a little, and shooting my bow from a chair. I've never hunted out of a blind before so it'll be a new experience. Now I'm really uneducated on turkey hunting and please need any tips/advice that you are willing to share.

Thanks in advance!

2. trvsmarine

trvsmarine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck. Turkey hunting with a bow is a blast, I have yet to connect on a bird but love chasing them with a bow from the blinds. I dont normally setup in the woods as turkeys usually want to head to fields to feed, especially having food plots and cut corn fields. I also am in wisconsin, shawano county... good luck

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

3. tdk5525

tdk5525 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Keep the decoys 10-15 yards from the blind.

4. Lady Liberty

Lady Liberty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Go with quality decoys in front of the blind... it's been a Godsend for our family!

5. PaTreeAssassin

PaTreeAssassin Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Set the hen decoys looking towards your blind. The gobbler will want the hens to notice him so he should circle between you and them. If you have a jake decoy put him in between where you think the gobbler will come from and it'll also bring him in. Remember though nothing goes as plan turkey hunting, especially with a bow. Good luck!