Ticks and permethrin questions

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Swamp Stalker, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The ticks are pretty bad already this year. My 14 year old son and friends want to camp out back in the woods this weekend.
    Who has used permethrin for tick repellant before, and how did you use it? I bought a bottle of pet matron 10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't go into the woods anymore without spraying down all my clothes and gear with premethrin...usually just buy Sawyers it works great bro!

3. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I use Sawyer's. I spray my clothes, pack and gear down with it the day before. I even spray the floor of my truck. I have an old set of Moisture wicking base layer pants and shirt that I treat and wear under my treated clothes. I even treat my hat. I don't take any chances. 4 years running and not 1 tick.

4. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]
    This is the only kind they had at tractor supply. Do you guys dilute it at all? Reading the directions it says not get on skin or clothing... Did I buy the wrong kind? Thanks for the help!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am not too familiar with the one you got Joe. The sawyers comes ready to spray in a spray bottle or aerosol can. It also says not to get on your skin also. I do exactly what Dwayne does, spray my boots, camos, base layers, packs and any other gear i feel may need it...also spray down the floor of the truck/cars just in case. I know they sell concentrated forms of permethrin that does need to be diluted, just not sure if that one you got is one of them....I just buy the sawyers since it works great and less fuss.

6. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had a tick crawling on my leg last weekend as I raked the leaves and tilled my honey hole plot before seeding. I wasn't using permethrin but I probably should have. Ticks are nasty little boogers. I like the cream the best, just put it on like sun tan lotion.

EDIT: Oh, if you are talking about preventing rather than treating then just spray it on like you do scent cover spray. Especially on the bottom of your boots, ankles, and legs.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  7. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I believe you have to dilute it from that bottle. I know I saw some threads some where so Look it up and let us know.

8. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    FWIW-Sawyers is 0.5% permethrin...

I spray my clothes (exterior layer) with Sawyers at least a day or two, usually a week and leave them or to dry/air.

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, Sawyer has a couple system. Aerosol, Hand pump spray bottle, or a soak treatment. I believe all of those are .5% permethrin. So you would really have to dilute that stuff way down. I wouldn't want to expose myself to 10% permethin. I'm just guessing it wouldn't be real good for you. If you use that stuff and dilute it down, easiest way would be to put it in a rubber maid container, soak all your outer wear then hang and let air dry. Those cloths should last you all season.

10. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You actually did good with what you bought. I would get a 1 gallon sprayer, and you can make tons of solution by diluting with water for a fraction of what Sawyers would cost. I bought a cheap sprayer on Amazon and a concentrated permethrin similar to that one.
    I soak my clothes outside, let them dry and you're good to go.

11. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use permethrin as well. Where I hunt, we have seed ticks real bad. If your clothes are treated, you can literally see the ticks fall off of you. Spray the night before. All the sprays usually say they are good for several washings but I tend to respray after each washing. Not worth taking any chances.

Just a tip, spray your clothing the night before so it's fully dry by the time you put them on. DO NOT PUT IT ON YOUR SKIN!

Repel Permethrin Clothing & Gear Insect Repellent Aerosol | drugstore.com

12. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly this. What you bought will work for a long time. I buy this:

http://www.amazon.com/Permethrin-36...361701&sr=8-2&keywords=permethrin+concentrate

At a 36.8 percent concentration, a bottle will last a L O N G time. Like FEB said, just use a cheap 1 gallon sprayer. Diluting it to a 0.5 percent solution just takes a little basic math. I've posted the ratio on here before. It's so much cheaper than Sawyers or Repel that it'll amaze you.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015