Good mid priced bow?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by ShaneB22, Apr 15, 2015.

1. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, I'm looking at some mid priced bows in the $550-$700 range. Some of the bows I have looked at are pse premonition hd, bowtech carbon icon, parker viking and the diamond carbon cure. I will eventually shoot all of them and make a decision, but I was wondering if I should look at some other bows out there. And another question, the owner of the shop said he'd give me a deal since my last bow was stolen. I don't think I should take that offer because I heard that most shops only make about $200 on a high end bow and I still want him to make some money. What would you do?

2. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The Premonition HD is a sweet bow....shoots very nice.

Sent from my XT830C

3. BeastFeast

BeastFeast Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would look at bear archery bows. I'm not sure what their selection is like now but when I bought my last bow I shot Mathews, Hoyt , bowtech, and bear. The bear just felt the best in my hand and to pull back. My biggest advice would be don't looks at the name brand buy what feels the best to you.

4. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'd get a year or two old Mathews. If you're not getting it directly from your pro shop, I would definitely have them look at it first though

5. Longstriker

Longstriker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Couldn't agree more. For sure somebody bought a nice flagship Mathews in the last couple of years and they have since traded it in.

6. ShaneB22

Dislikes Received:
    I think he has a old switchback XT in the back. That's more than a couple years but they're great bows.

7. doepatrol2000

doepatrol2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm selling my 2014 Bowtech Carbon Knight for $700. I bought it for Christmas 2014. I have an HHA Sight, a whisker biscuit and a NAP Apache Stabilizer on it. PM me if ur interested. I'm selling it because I don't have enough time for hunting with it since I can only hunt in January and I need a little more money for my car...It is a great bow!!

8. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd get a used elite. Great bows and you get the lifetime transferable warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. ShaneB22

Dislikes Received:
    That would be great but I have all of the accessories I need for a bow and I don't have $700 yet.

10. ShaneB22

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure if he has an elite and I wouldn't want to buy a bow from anyone else just because we're good friends. He's know my family before I was around, my grandpa used to go to his body shop back in the day when he was still around.

11. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I just got a 2013 Bear Method for $375... You can find some amazing deals on year old bows that come bare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. scoot12

scoot12 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hoyt Charger.

13. bry2211

bry2211 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a bare Z7 that I can ship to you for 425.00

14. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I tried all of these and settled on a Hoyt Charger with a whisker biscuit and upgraded to a Black Gold Ascent Ambush sight. Cost me $770 after tax. By far the best shooting experience of the bows I tried in that price range.

15. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Used bows can be a crap shoot. Unless you are absolutely sure of the person who owned the bow before you, its hard to say what that bow went through. But if you are sure that the person took very good care of it, they can be had for a steal. I've seen 1 year old models selling for 300-400 less than new. If you can find a bow like that, buy a new set of strings and cables for it so you know what you're working with and you're still ahead of the game.

I'm not going to throw out brands/models because every person is different and will shoot particular styles/models better than another. If you can shoot a bunch until you find something you really like, then go on the classified and look for a used one, you can save a ton of money.

16. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would buy a one or two year old flagship bow way before I bought any mid priced new bow. I sell at least a couple bows a year, as I buy new models. I think I am typical of the type of person you will see selling a 1 year old bow on AT. I also bought several bows used without any issue at all.
    If your worried buy an elite with life time transferable warranty...

17. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with trial. Buy a used bow.

The first bow I bought was a bowtech and that was brand new. This year I got a 2014 Elite Energy 35 for half as much as I spent on the bowtech.

Archery Talk is the place to go. Sooner or later they will have what you're looking for at a decent price.

18. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'd get ahold of as many bows by different makers in your range and choose which one feels best to you. #MoveAlong

19. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Id definitely check out a nice used Mathews bow or possibly their Mission line of bows as those seem to be pretty popular as well.

20. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hoyt charger shot better for me than the cs or faktor. But I've seen faktors going for 500-600 on at and Facebook archery buy sell and trade. Join the group on Facebook there's some good deals