Mossberg 500 Slug Gun

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by benwright22, Apr 15, 2015.

1. benwright22

benwright22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, does anyone use a Mossberg 500 slug gun? I'm from New Jersey and you can't use rifles to hunt so ingot a slug gun and this coming season will be my first year gun hunting. So my question is what slugs have you shot out of a Mossberg 500 and had good groups with?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I used one briefly when I thought gun hunting was something I'd enjoy....no longer even have the ported rifled barrel for it. Mossberg advertises a slug gun that isn't even one with a rifled barrel....which makes a BIG difference in slug selection as well as distance selection.

3. mpeter30

mpeter30 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have a smooth bore for my mossberg 500 and have found that the black magic sabot slugs 2@3/4 inch fly the best. If you have a rifled barrel you would want to try some type of rifled slug. Sabot slugs work best for smooth bores.

Hope this helps

4. Bowhunter0132

Bowhunter0132 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used to have the same set up. My slug barrel was a smooth bore, so I used rifled "Buck Hammer" rounds and they seems to work decent out to 100 yards, but I never tried further. Fair warning.. they kick like a mule! Make sure you have the gun good and tight in "the pocket" when you shoot or you are going to have a bruise. I grew up in PA, so I normally used my 7mm mag, but I am in Maryland now and it's shotgun only. Since I don't have anything but public land for gun, I switched to bow only and only on private land.

Funny story.. My 500 was my hunting shotgun and my home defense gun.. but, I made the mistake of taking my wife along when I was shooting slugs for season. She saw 1 look at how much they kicked and refused to even touch the gun, EVER. I tried to explain that buck shot doesn't kick nearly as hard and is good for home defense, but she wanted/will have none of it. I now have a hand gun as home defense.. even though the racking noise of a pump action is unmistakableand and I would think it is terrifying if you are a burglar.

5. benwright22

Dislikes Received:
    Have any of you had the rifled slug barrel? My Mossberg came with a field and rifled slug barrel

6. mshm99

mshm99 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have owned a mossberg trophy slugster , 12 gauge, fully rifled ,with high comb stock and cantilever scope mount since they were first introduced in the 90's. I have harvested many,many deer with it. I still bring it with me every year, but mostly hunt with a Savage 10ML smokeless muzzle loader for it's 200 plus yard accuracy. For woods hunting you can't beat the trophy slugster. I have found winchester silver box, bri sabot rounds will give my weapon honest 2" grouping at a 100 yds. Recoil is also light in my opinion. You need a high quality scope. It will rattle the guts loose on cheap scopes in short order.I use a Leupold rifleman. You can glass bed the buttstock to the receiver to tighten up your groups a bit. And I've had some success with sgw handloads.
    Mike in Illinois

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u316/mshm99/P1060322.jpg

7. MistaWondaBread

MistaWondaBread Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not to call you out, but this seems completely wrong. Rifled slugs are rifled for smooth bore, sabot slugs are specifically designed for rifled barrels. Sabot slugs out of a smooth bore will cause improper flight and will hit targets sideways. (see this link). Rifled slugs in a rifled barrel will deposit lead in the barrel as well.

When I use to gun hunt in Indiana, we used sabot slugs outta rifled barrels, and we could shoot 150 yards no problem. We were using cheaper mossberg maverick 88's, but they killed deer, thats for sure. We shot hornady sst sabot, and they are fantastic.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  8. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^^Bingo. Rifled slugs should NEVER go through a rifled barrel.

9. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have this in 20 gauge.

[​IMG]

It has a Bushnell Trophy XLT scope on it.

Great gun, but the trigger sucks. Been meaning to send it out to get worked.

It can Cloverleaf Remington accutips off a lead sled at 100 yards when I get a clean trigger pull. This particular gun did not like Hornady SST's. First slug gun I have seen that didn't like them.

Beyond me why they put such a trash trigger on it. The Lightning trigger was not available on the 20's (only the 12's) when I bought this. Wish I could just pick up a lightning trigger to drop in this.

10. benwright22

Dislikes Received:
    How do you know when a gun does not like a particular slug? Don't mean to ask a dumb question but this is the first gun i have owned

11. mshm99

mshm99 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    He's right. Sabots for rifled barrels,although the work ok in smooth bores. Rifled slugs are constructed to be safely shot in any any choke barrel. Rifled slugs lead up a rifled bore, You don't want that mess.I have not tried the hornady sst's, and don't know about them, but I agree 150 yds is possible if you know the weapon. The problem here is it is very expensive to find out what your weapon does not shoot well. When you get acceptable accuracy, you will tend to stick with that round.

2" groups ,from a bench @ 100 yds would be darn good. The only way to find out is to shoot it under ideal controlled settings( sand bags, bench) for a fair test of accuracy. Heavy recoiling guns are not real easy to shoot small groups with.
    mike in Illinois

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  12. MistaWondaBread

MistaWondaBread Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well, you have to shoot em to find out. I always did it by buying 3-4 different types of ammo, and finding which one groups best. I don't know of a better way to do it.

13. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely try different loads.

Oddly my 870 with rifled barrel did the better with plain old foster style slugger rifled slugs than the spiffy, hot sabots. Go figure.

They might have required a bit more barrel swabbing but they killed deer just fine.

14. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I do not have this slug gun (it is my turkey shotgun!), however I have a 20 gauge Savage. I used Remington copper sabots. But, the thing I was told when I went to an outfitter two years ago, is don't clean it as much as you would a rifle. They actually shoot better when the barrel is "dirty". So I clean it once after the season.

15. mshm99

mshm99 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Whatever works. I believe you are giving up a lot of extended range with the old pumkin balls. But they are easy enough on the wallet that you can shoot them enough to know where they hit with their rainbow trajectory. Those old foster types have put more meat in the freezer than the others combined. The key is to know your weapon, and the best way to know it is to shoot it.

16. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had a 50 yard max. Lol

The shotgun kicked so hard with the hotter sabots that it was hard to test it. My 300 win mag is like shooting a. 22 lr compared to that shotgun. The 870s stock is cut down so it fits me and somehow that cause the gun to try and take your face off.

It's not just me, my husband is a big, strong 250lbs and shot it twice and almost got a bloody nose.

The pumpkins are easier on the wallet and my face. Ha. Plus, they grouped great.

For most shotguns the sabots should have superior performance. Just not mine.

17. Keith Mako

Keith Mako Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have the same shotgun I use winchester magnums they are very accurate. I practice from about 100 yards with out a scope. It shoots very true. I have the riffled barrel. If you don't have that barrel I would go buy one worth it.

18. Obezamatt

Obezamatt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    A rifled slug has rifling built into the slug itself. This makes up for the barrel not having rifling. The slug spins in a motion similar to what rifling would cause due to the air passing over the grooves on the slug. Rifled slugs shot from a smooth bore are relatively accurate out to about 50-75 yards.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015