Bow survival kit

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by kurveball18, Apr 14, 2015.

1. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Have any of you guys put together a bow kit to replace something that might have broke when you got to your deerstand? Knowing me I would be PISSED to get to my stand to find out that my drop away cord broke or my D-Loop came off. Do you guys just say, F-This and drive to the nearest archery shop or do you have a small zip lock baggy with you that has some extra stuff so you can fix it on stand?

2. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't need any more crap to carry in the woods just to fix something. If I had a problem I would just go back and fix it.

3. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ditto, what BJE80 said, dont need anymore stuff!!

4. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    same here. I do have stuff in my case which is back in the truck. I usually check those kind of things each year and change them out in the spring/summer.

5. josephmrtn

josephmrtn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If something is wrong with my bow I should have noticed it while shooting it the evening before

6. Worzeth

Worzeth Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Fortunately for me the archery shop is just 5 mins down the road from my house and my stand is only about a 10 min walk to the car. So if anything ever went wrong I could leave go get it fixed and be back in stand in under an hour.

7. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    1) if my d loop broke I would never tie on a new one and keep hunting. Even if you have a served in nocking point you can't guarantee the same POI. Thus not knowing if you can place an ethical shot.
    2) if the rest cord broke, again that is not an infield fix unless you shoot a limbdriven. You need to retime the rest
    3) I never leave the house with my bow without having my kit. [​IMG]

I've got string wax, d loop material, serving thread, an extra string stopper, 3 replacement draw stops, extra release springs and thumb barrels, Allen wrenches, lighters, hot melt, field tips, inserts, sight and rest screws, a rifle bore brush for arrow prep, arrow lube and pliers. This does not come in the stand but is always in my case.

Just don't try to fix something on stand. Get out fix the issue and ensure you can place a good shot.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  8. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Few extra arrow nocks and some junk broadheads for raccoons and those pesky critters that's all. Then same thing josephmrtn, hopefully I catch any issues the night before.

9. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't. I would carry a repair kit if I was on an out of state hunt because I couldn't just drive home and fix it. But hunting locally I am usually not more than an hour from home. So I would only lose one morning or evening on stand to fix the issue and shoot before hunting again.

10. Lady Liberty

Lady Liberty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have the skills to fix much of anything in the field. I get my bow checked thoroughly 2 months in advance of the season and then re-check everything every day (evening after I come in from the field). I let the real bow techs handle things for now.

11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I take a shot at the target before I walk to the stand to make sure me and the bow are right.

12. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What do you do for morning hunts? Or all day sits?

13. Bowhunter0132

Bowhunter0132 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll carry in a allen wrench for lose bolts, but otherwise, no. 99% of broken or damaged parts on a bow will effect your aim, therefore you will need to resight anyway. As ethical hunters, we owe it to the animals we hunt, to have our equipment set up correctly (including ourselves) so that we can make the best shot for the fastest death of the animal. I love hunting, but don't want the animal to suffer anymore then nessicary. I know not everyone will agree with me, but if I can get a second shot on a wounded animal, I am taking it. Even if I know the first shot is lethal.

14. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't do mornings or all day sits.

15. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't carry a kit to the stand but I do leave a tackle box full of anything I can do locally in my truck just in case.

16. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If I am not far from home I have a backup bow ready to go.
    If I am far from home I have a backup bow in the truck ready to go.

I had an issue once....only once...never again. I had a limb crack on Halloween and my "backup bow" was being used by my brother, 3 hours away. Now my brother has a hand me down and I have 2 bows.

17. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The only item I carry with me is a replacement cord for my Limbdriver rest and the right sized allen wrench to swap it out. I do this because the first year I used this rest on a bow, genius here was going up a new tree with a climber and had to saw off a couple of limbs. I was dropping the limbs out of the tree, on top of.. you guessed it, my bow, still laying on the ground. One of the limbs hit the cord square and pulled it all loose.

Its the only thing I carry as its probably the only thing that can be repaired easily and have me back up and running like nothing happened. Anything else breaking would be more major.

18. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I want to learn how to tie a D Loop so I know how to do it. If anything else happens, I guess my hunt for that day is over.

19. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A messed up D loop would be a problem that would end a hunt also. Unfortunately a new loop isn't an "in the woods" fix

20. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Learning how to tie a loop, or learning how to do all your bow work, is a great thing. But not something to do in stand. I encourage you to learn how to do your own work as its a fun and rewarding experience but not for in the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk