New York Hunters!

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by cml5895, Apr 14, 2015.

1. cml5895

cml5895 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Does anyone hunt in or around the Syracuse area? I'm a freshman at SUNY ESF and unfortunately have a final on opening day of turkey season. I'm looking for spot to hunt that day without driving over a couple hours. I know upstate has some great turkey hunting, but I don't really know any public land and even if I did, I wouldn't know where to start. Help a brother out with any advice you guys have! Just trying to knock a long beard down.

Thanks,
    Collin

2. Kris_H_97

Kris_H_97 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Absolute best advice I could offer to anyone who doesn't have their own land is to find some nearby farm land with surrounding woods, shouldn't be too difficult to find in the SU area, and introduce yourself to the owner/farmer and just ask for permission. I'm hunting in Oswego county, pretty close to 'Cuse, and know there's a whole lot to offer. Just a matter of making contact with someone.

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Network a bit and you should be ok finding some private land near by, ESF is great place I finished my undergrad there.

If you strike ok locally, take a look at the state land just north of Camden, there is plenty of it and a decent amount of birds in the area, helps with all the farms near by.

4. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Went to college in Cazenovia, right outside of Syracuse and we knocked on doors and asked farmers and offered to help with things around the farm. Ended up getting permission on 2 and then had my buddies family land and Farm in Canastota. Good luck to ya!