Multiple, single pins.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by BB4tw, Apr 14, 2015.

1. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    For quite a while I've had trouble with ranging my target. I would set my pins at 10 yard increments and as long as I knew the yardage I could put together nice groups. As soon as I had to estimate, my shooting would fall apart. I would fail to gap right or pick the wrong pin all together almost every time.

For hunting, I solved this short coming with a single fixed pin. It's a common practice to learn and use the range from a 20-25 yard pin to cover distances from 0 to about 27 yards.

That's when I had the idea to do it again with another pin. Once my top pin was no longer accurate I added a second pin and sighted it in to cover a range of 27-35. A third pin covers 35-40. A fourth pin won't work well on my sight because the pins won't slide together far close enough. I'm thinking of setting it at 50 the normal way.

Opposite of everything I can find on the topic, my pin gasps get smaller as I move down the sight.

I find this method much much easier to sight and shoot with. Instead of estimating distance and converting it to numbers all I need to know is a close, medium, or far range.

There has to be someone else that has thought of this before me.

Does anybody else here use a similar system?

2. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I get the problem. What you are saying makes sense. However, I solved this problem by going to a single-pin adjustable. I prefer the clearer sight picture. I my try your suggestions on my old set up that still has a five-pin sight.

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like your a perfect candidate for a single movable pin sight. Dial it up to the range you think the target is and shoot...can't get much simpler

4. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was thinking about trying out a movable pin and it's what gave me the inspiration to set up my three pins the way I did. I still might give one a try sometime but for now I'm really liking how this system is working for me. I just thought I would share it as another alternative for folks to consider.

5. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I love my single moveable HHA... however, where I hunt I rarely need to adjust as long shots are not very common.

6. RedArrowErik

RedArrowErik Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've been thinking of going to a single pin also. I'm a little nervous about needing to move it in a hunting situation, but I've never had to shoot over 40 at an animal.

Some suggestions were to set it at 30... What are you guys doing?