Running question for those of you who run long distance

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by LittleChief, Apr 14, 2015.

1. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    With the exception of the new folks, you all know that I did the half marathon this past December during the St. Jude Memphis Marathon Weekend.

I posted updates throughout the process, so you know that I went from a 220 - 230 pound guy who hadn't run in almost 10 years to a 178 pound guy who could run 10 miles. You also know that I suffered various injuries along the way and ended up having to walk the majority of the half. 10 miles was as far as I'd gotten to when the achilles tear occurred.

Here's the thing: I'm considering signing up for the full marathon this year. The difference this year is that instead of starting the process not having run in years and weighing almost 230, I'd be starting out at 185 pounds - and I'm still running. Granted, I'm only running 6 miles right now and with the exception of that nagging right ankle issue, I'm injury free and pretty good shape for a 52 year old.

So, what do you think? Those of you who followed what I posted in updates - do you think I'm biting off more than I can chew or should I go for it? I'd appreciate opinions from anyone on this.

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've learned never to doubt a serviceman or woman :D You got my support brother!

3. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Go for it!

4. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    full marathons just require time, lots of time

if you have to time to train for one, go for it, if not, just continue what you are doing

5. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    That is the one thing that would make me lean towards not doing it. There will be a lot of weekends during bow season that will be spent on long training runs and cross training. I could still hunt, of course, but I know that it would, for the most part, wipe out the majority of hunting until early December.

Still, it all boils down to what's more important to me, I guess.

6. MN_Jay

MN_Jay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've only run halves but everyone I talk to that's done the full says it's a completely different animal. Like mentioned above, you'd have to find a training program and stick with it. If you can find the time for that then go for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Nebraska

Nebraska Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As long as you have the time to properly train, what do you have to lose. I am only 30, but my body is not capable of running 26 miles. I can do the half and its a struggle. My only advice is to get a proper physical and a stress test before you commit. My dad is 67 and in better shape then I am. He was told the same thing, got the physical/tests and was told not to run the race or train for anything longer then a half marathon. I personally do not know you, or what kind of health/shape you are in, but I do know that every year, several people die from heart related issues while running marathons. It is all better to be safe..

good luck!!