New to the game!!!

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by wv-outdoor, Apr 13, 2015.

1. wv-outdoor

wv-outdoor Newb

Dislikes Received:
    New guy from West Virginia. Just wanted to say hello and that I've enjoyed reading all the informative posts you all have here. I found this site through Campbell Cameras website. Looks like a great group of individuals with lots of talent. I hope to be able to add to that a little. I've been researching cameras and self filming for a few years now, but just never pulled the trigger. I picked up a Canon Vixia HF R600 this past weekend to film my daughters birthday party and would have gotten the HF G20 if they had been in stock, but being I needed it for the weekend and I waited till Thursday to buy one. I didn't get the exact one I was wanting, but I'll probably change that before season or use this one to see if I like the whole filming thing before upgrading. The only problem I see is not having the Lanc port for the remote controller!! Anyways just wanted to introduce myself and Thank you all for the great topics and discussions!!

A few accessories I picked up for main camera:
    • Muddy Outdoors Outfitter Camera Arm & Base
    • Vanguard PH-113V Video Tripod Head
    • Vanguard Quick Shoe Release Plate QS-66 for PH-113V
    • Xit XTBP727 Lithium Replacement Battery
    • Wrap Around Mount for Handycam Cameras
    • Universal Camouflage Camera Skins
    • Bower 43mm UV Lens Glass Protector
    • Mennon 43mm 16:9 Wide Lens Hood
    • SMX-10 Directional Stereo Mic with stereo mini-plug & Windscreen

Second camera
    • GoPro HERO3 White Edition Camera
    • Wasabi Power Extended Battery
    • Campbell Camera Skin - GoPro Hero 3
    • Polar Pro Cube Polarization Filter for the GoPro HD HERO 3
    • EZY 2nd Op. Camera Mount
    • Campbell Cameras POV Ground Spike- 23" tall

2. Bowhunter0132

Bowhunter0132 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the forum and good luck! I have never tried to film my hunt, but have always been interested in doing so.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the forum.

I think you will find it a bit difficult to self film without a Lanc. I've tried and it's a total PITA. One of the most important parts to filming your hunts is to minimize movement. Both your movement and the camera. A Lanc is an invaluable tool for this as you can operate the camera completely with one hand and very minimal movement. When I'm filming for the shot, I will have one hand on the fluid head handle and Lanc while I'm holding my bow in the other hand. Once the deer begins to present the shot, I will try and frame the shot by zooming out or in with the Lanc to hopefully capture the shot near the center of the frame. Sometimes there's just a split second or two to do this, draw, aim and release. Once the arrow is released, you have to try and find that deer back in the camera, which usually means panning the arm and zooming out at the same time to get it all back in frame. You will still have the bow in your off hand, so it's still a one hand operation. It's a tough job to do it right, and nearly impossible to self film and get good footage without the Lanc.

Just something to consider.

4. wv-outdoor

wv-outdoor Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well I'm currently on the phone waiting for a representative from Best Buy to see if I can still bring back the camera and exchange it for the Canon Vixia HF G30. I know the Lanc ability was a huge benefit, but I was to haste in my decision because of the birthday party. Hopefully I can upgrade without losing to much money.

Is the Vanguard head good enough for the G30? I see it's still able to support the weight.

5. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome and congrats on the new rig! I use the same camera basically and yes a LANC controller is a nice feature but IMO it by no means is a necessity. I guess it all depends on how much money your willing to spend and or save. I did just fine with out one though and will use my current rig for one more season before upgrading...Like the G series cameras just really set on a XA20 I think. Good luck to ya!

Rigg in Tree.jpg

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  6. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site!

7. Ryan A

Ryan A Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site! I agree with skywalker about the lanc controller, makes self filming so much easier! You will not be dissapointed with the canon hfg30; it's an excellent camera. I bought mine off of Canon's refurbished site for only $831! Heck of a deal IMO.

8. wv-outdoor

wv-outdoor Newb

Dislikes Received:
    They allowed me to return the R600 and I ordered the G30 today. I ordered the VariZoom VZ-STEALTH Zoom Controller as well to go with it from Campbells Camera. Looking forward to playing with it when it gets here.

9. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    wv-outdoor looks like you are off to a good start. I would recommend practice setting up your equipment before season comes in. Getting a packing system together and operating the camera too. You don't need anything elaborate but sometimes by practicing you find better ways to do things. Good luck this year and I am excited or see your footage when its all done. :tu:

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good deal, you won't be sorry. That's a nice camera.

11. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    congrats on the the new rig, def a great camera! Like i said before as I think it is not a necessity it will def make things better and easier for you when filming, great choice! I'm sure when I upgrade as well and actually get to use a varizoom controller I will never have it any other way! Best of luck with it and with filming your hunts! :tu: