Land Lease Opportunity.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by MONGO1, Apr 13, 2015.

1. MONGO1

MONGO1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i have the opportunity to lease a 30 acre block of woods for this upcoming deer season.

i am considering getting a hang-on with receivers to place on trees and just carry the stand in and out each time i hunt it.

question is this...for those of you who hunt on small lots, what is your rule of thumb for stands in relation to the size of the lot?

i was thinking that since the lot is 30 acres, a stand for each 10 acres would suffice, would this be a good idea?

i have not yet been able to go to the lot and scout it out, but i wont really be able to hunt it too much due to the distance to and from my house, its over an hour and 45 minutes or so one way to get there, maybe a bit longer, so i dont want to have too much stuff out there when i am unable to kep track of it like i would want to.

2. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If your leaving stands or receivers in place I think you can get away with a lot more... Some spots maybe able to mount a pair of stands to take advantage of two wind directions.
    I don't know the property in question but 3 stands for 30 acres seems a bit low unless it poor ground.
    I wouldn't be afraid to hang extra at and sets, if they don't get used ..no big deal but if you need to change things up then your all set already.

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would have stands sites set up based on wind direction vs evenly spacing stands on 30 acres. I have 2 food plots and 2-3 stands near plots based on wind direction. Our prevailing winds are NW in central Minnesota, but I always set up an east wind stand site for days when a front is going to come thru.

4. I8myTarget

I8myTarget Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The number of stands is not important in this case. The number of hunters is. I personnally own 50 acres and my dad has close to 500 across the street. Hunting 30 acres is plenty of room but you must remember the deer in that area travel the entire plot of land. If you have several people all hunting it then they will avoid it. A tree stand on a tree becomes part of their environment if hey walk past it everyday with no threat. Put your stands where you want for certain conditions but more importantly where you see the deer regularly using a certain area. They are creatures of habit and if they will use the same are of travel, bending area, and feeding areas a lot of the time.
    I personally have 4 stands on 50 acres.

5. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    hunt the wind. put them in different areas for different wind situations. Nothing more aggravating then planning on hunting a great day but the wind it to your back hard letting every deer infront of you know your location.

6. BeastFeast

BeastFeast Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I only have 10 acres and there are 5 stands on it and I'm probably going to be adding a ground blind... I just like options

7. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Me and my bud have around 30 and a couple blinds on his 140 acre property

8. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    3 stands on 30 acres ai'nt much unless there is a lot of open ground.
    i have 12 on my 33 acres of all wooded ground .
    you will notice some suttle deer movement in spots that may not jump right out.

9. longjohnsilver

longjohnsilver Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have a couple small lease properties that I hunt on and I only have 2 tree stands on each property. Invest into a couple trail cameras. Learn the property and how the deer’s are using it. It’s going to take you a couple years and you’ll have to move your tree stand around a couple time before finding that sweet spot. The key to hunting a small property is to NOT over hunt/pressure it.

10. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^THIS^