bowhunting backpack

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Shane0709, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sold on badlands, but I have yet to figure out which one. I like the looks of the treestand, diablo, and ultraday pack, as I will do 90% of my hunting in a treestand that's only a 100 yard walk. I am hunting northwest Illinois for whitetails. What is the best badlands Backpack for my situation?

2. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had the pursuit and it worked fine for me, I ended up losing it somehow along the way of using it to carry beers haha, I now have a super day pack. My girlfriend got it for me for a b day, found it on eBay for a great deal. Love the pack I do a lot of 1-2 mile hunts on game lands in ohio and all day sits. This pack exceeds everything I need. Any badlands pack is a good pack!

3. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For you situation honestly I would go with the big fanny pack they have, for around home and not far or super long hunts I just use a smaller cabelas fanny pack, has plenty of room for all my gear and easy to hang on the tree.

4. cdcj

cdcj Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly, look at the Horn Hunter packs. Much better pocket layout.

5. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have the treestand pack from badlands and love it, I really enjoy the shelf that folds out the front.

6. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Most of my hunts are from a tree stand and with short distance walks. I prefer the minimalist approach. I like something smaller with good pocket layout to help with organization. The fanny pack model or the fanny pack with the shoulder straps are about as big as I'd go with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Dunlap

Dunlap Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The badlands point pack is the one I bought recently. I love this pack

8. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have the treestand... love it

9. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a badlands black jack and its pretty good for just tree stand hunting for a few hours. Quiet zippers and a lot more space than it looks like

10. keepfallingup

keepfallingup Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I got the tree stand pack recently so I haven't hunted with it in the tree yet. But I know Ill love the fold out pouch to keep gear in while next to me in the tree. It also has good organizing pockets inside although a little on the small side. It is super comfortable. Just hauled it around the turkey woods for miles this weekend scouting. I don't wear a turkey vest anymore and just do a backpack. Good choice to go with Badlands!

11. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How many of the mentioned packs are waterPROOF?

12. cdcj

cdcj Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Horn Hunter but wanted a bigger pack. I looked at several of the Badlands packs but none had the layout of the Horn Hunter Mainbeam or my old one either. I carry my bow in on my pack and love the way it attaches on the Horn Hunter. Really do not like the fold out sleeve on the Badlands or the straps. The Badlands are good packs but just like the Mainbeam better for what I want.

13. rcowan

rcowan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I also have the Horn Hunter Mainbeam.
    Great pack

RC

14. DD/MO

DD/MO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm an ALPS Outdoorz kinda guy myself. They have a lot of versatile packs. But, if I were to get a Badlands pack, it would be this one...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  15. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have used the Monster Fanny for a while now and haven't found anything else I like better. For day sits in a treestand, it works well for my needs. I don't pack a lot of stuff into the woods with me, just what I need, and it works well for that. I used a couple of backpacks in the past and the problem is, they've been far too large and most of my gear ends up lost in it and I find myself fishing for what I need.

Most badlands packs are pretty waterproof. I have never feared an electronics getting ruined in mine, even in downpours.

16. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have about half a dozen day packs, not counting full size packs. The ones that sees the most use during whitetail season is my Sitka 1400 and tenzing 1140

17. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe it's me, but why are those things so dang expensive? I'm sorry but can't see spending $150 or more on a bag just to carry stuff in. I've had my $40 bag for years and it still does what it is intended to do, carry stuff.

do you think it is kind of a status thing with certain brand name bags? No mind you my bag doesn't have the all the bells and whistles like those do but is a bag just a bag?

thoughts?

18. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    For me, its a design and function thing. I chose the Badlands Monster because of how it was designed and functions. For me, it works perfectly. I've had packs in the past that weren't rigid enough in spots and made it a real pain to get in and out of the pack with one hand when needed, always folded over itself and didn't hang well on a hook in the tree. Or of course they just didn't hold up very well and I found myself buying a new one every few years.

Of course if you're a western hunter, comfort, weight distribution and breathability are huge factors as well. If you've never hunted with a high end pack, you're missing out. I'm a whitetail/treestand guy so my needs are far less demanding than our western counterparts, but having a pack that carries well and hangs on a hook with easily accessible gear is great.

And the Badlands come with a unconditional lifetime warranty regardless of whether you're the original owner or not. You rip it, break buckles, etc., they'll fix or replace.

19. DD/MO

DD/MO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a backpack junkie myself. I've got 2 dozen of them laying around in my shop....mostly cheap Walmart bags with a few $200 brand name bags. It seems like the Walmart bags have drastically gone down in quality in recent years. I've got a 15 year old Walmart pack that's still in good shape but I've also got a quite a few $50 Walmart bags that didn't make it through one season. I can tell you my GamePlan Gear and my ALPS Outdoorz bags are still going strong though. Everything is of better quality on the higher end bags....the straps, bag material, buckles, zippers and the stitching. The other thing, especially the ALPS bags, is they are ergonomic and well balanced. I think they are worth the extra dough.

20. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Why the passive aggression? Just say what you want. Like this.

The reason I spend 200 on a pack is so all the people following me around the woods and mountains know I like good functional equipment. An added benefit if they don't see me carting a cheap 40 Walmart pack that isn't even worth 4 bucks ....

Spend your money the way you like and other will most likely do the same with their money. I don't see any sense in begrudging people.

My real reason I spent 200 is because that's the price of the pack that performs they way I want it to. Buy once cry once.