FOC, Insert or heavier tip?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Afflicted, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm starting to realize I need more FOC weight on my arrows. I really struggle with groupings and realized my FOC is only about 7% with a 100 grain tip. If I add a 125g tip my FOC is 13% which seem much better.

Question: Is there any Pros or Cons of heavier tip/BH vs inserts to add more FOC to your arrows?

Thank to those much wiser than I.

2. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I put the brass inserts in only because then I have more BH selections and easier availability sticking with 100 grain heads. You start going to heavier BH's you limit your choices and if you need some in a pinch they are harder to find.

3. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    That's what I was thinking as well. Most of my BH are 100g.

4. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Perhaps I am wrong but I wouldn't think FOC will improve your groups unless your arrows are slightly over spined in which case adding FOC would help to correct that.

5. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The arrows will be able to overcome wind and other form issues better with a greater FOC. Having more of th front of the arrow do the steering is better than the back.

6. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    With that said make sure your arrows are properly spined cause the more weight you put upfront the more it will affect the spine. I rather my arrows to be on the stiffer side if anything...obv there are many other factors involved, like arrow length and how much weight you actually have up front.

I love the Gold Tip FACT weight system for the reason mentioned above exactly! I have the long allen key GT sells and can add or subtract weights to keep the same range of FOC and total arrow weight in the same ball park for both 100gr and 125gr heads. When I switch out the weights and go from 100 to 125 gr heads the weight different is only 4gr which is so small it has no effect on my arrow flight at all and keeps me in the same 12.5-12.6% FOC range...It's a great system

7. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    At one time I really got into heavier arrow FOC, especially when I shot a rec:woot:urve. However, these days, I like to keep things simple. I simply buy heavier grain arrows and shoot a 125 grain broadhead. That combo seems to blow through deer.

8. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Adding front weight (FOC) to an arrow has one major advantage IMO. I say this with the assumption that spine was either good or on the stiff side.

Think about launching something into the air from the back end that is too light on the tip. The arrow has no "attitude" in flight. Front end weight will "pull" the the tip down toward the ground, because of gravity, during its flight, thus giving the arrow more consistent and predictable attitude. Light tipped arrows "search" more in flight for this attitude. Think of lawn darts. Imagine trying to toss one of those at a target when there is no weight on the tip.

Of course I've seen low FOC shafts shoot lights out. I believe making sure the bow is tuned as well as possible is a big benefit there.
    I personally went to a 17% FOC last season and saw huge gains in consistency, especially at longer distances of 40 yards or more.

I would use insert weights that you can take in and out of the back of the shaft if needed. This way broadhead selection is not an issue as everyone and their brother sells 100gr heads.

9. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the tips and advice all.

I'm shooting 340 Easton FMJ at 30" With a ChillR at 70#.

I'm going with just a 50g brass insert and a 100g BH. Weight should come to about 500 grains. This willbe my set up for Elk this year.
    The weight also make the bow much quieter.