Need Help With Target Panic

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by alenhard15, Apr 8, 2015.

1. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am in desperate need of help getting over my target panic. I have been suffering from this for close to two years now and i just found out that this is an actual thing. I always hold low and cannot bring myself to get my pin on the target, if i do manage to get close to the target with my pin I immediately release. Does anyone out there have any advice for me? At this point it is so frustrating I can barely shoot.

2. CRABCLAW

CRABCLAW Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Many will tell you to blank bale. Shoot at a target at close range with your eyes closed and just concentrate on a surprise release. Also practice drawing your Bow back (keeping your finger behind the trigger) and just hold your pin on the bullseye and let down. You do this repeatedly without shooting. It's not going to go away overnight. Your in for a struggle to get your mindset right. I still have issues with this myself, your not alone. But it can be beat. Good luck. You may need to lower your draw weight also. Not sure what your currently shooting, but this can cause it also.

3. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    i had this same problem for years. i really can't say for sure how i overcame it but (i think) i kinda taught my mind to go numb at the moment of release. maybe a calming effect if that makes sence??.
    my shooting has improved tremendously.
    wish i had a better handle on how i do it.

4. JustinM1887

JustinM1887 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I was in a similar situation last year. Struggled with target panic for about two years myself, always holding low and couldn't get myself to move the pin up. This was so frustrating and I tried many things to rid myself of this. I put the bow down for a while, I blank-bailed, shot close ranges and things would work for a little while and then the target panic set back in. It really worsened when I would get in a tree practicing for deer season. I'm now over this and all I can say is get a back tension release. I was very skeptical and nervous about using one but I called a guy in my town who was a 3d shooter and he has years of experience, best thing I ever did. He allowed me to borrow his Scott longhorn and let's just say he never got it back. I bought it from him about 2 months later and I even hunted with it this past fall. It takes a few weeks to get used to and you definitely need someone to give you some pointers on how to use it but once you see how well you can shoot with it you won't want to change.

5. scoot12

scoot12 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    the thing that has helped me the most drawing back and letting the pin float with my finger wrapped deeply around trigger so its pointing straight down and do not shoot, just let in float over bullseye and do not shoot. Let down and then do it again without shooting. Its boring but it has helped me tons, i guess takes away some of the anticipation. I did this for a month straight everyday. Blank baling was the first month with my eyes closed. Scoot

6. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Get about 3-4 feet from your target. Pull the bow back, and release an arow. Do it over and over without aiming. Just get a good draw and feel good about a clean release. Do that for several days. After a few days, start aiming a little by letting the pin float and pulling the release when the pin floats over your desired spot. Do that for a few days and do it all within 3-5 feet.

After that slowly move back and gain a little distance.

7. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^this aka blind baling. I'll add, in between the initial shots and the final step, really focus on the gentle trigger squeeze (not pouncing on the trigger) and keeping your bow holding hands from clenching/torquing.

8. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Anytime I start getting sloppy with my shots, for one reason or another, I go to blind baling and aiming without shooting for a while. As others have mentioned, it will not fix itself or go away overnight.

In your particular case, blind shooting along may not be the right answer. Because your triggering the release based on a visual cue (pin going across the bullseye), it will probably serve you better to do a lot of draw, aim, hold, letdown. Do this ten times, each time as your holding on the target, imagine actually shooting that arrow. On the eleventh arrow, do the same thing, but shoot it. Rinse and repeat. I do this all the time, even if there isn't a problem.

9. mkmox

mkmox Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Find a way to raise your heart rate, such as running then shoot to mimic a raise in your heart rate. To practice with your adrenaline running, hunt something small like a groundhog another animal and go through a process you have preset in your head. It will help to focus and make s great shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Have 2 beers then shoot some arrows. That or meditate before you shoot.

11. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like to warm up with a couple of close shots, but that won't help with your situation. What helped me get over it was changing the trigger style from a wrist and index finger to a handheld and thumb trigger. I haven't shot as good as I do now for years. Sounds pretty simple because it was, and it may not be as complicated for you either. I can never get my head wrapped around of what a surprise release actually is.

12. josh1974

josh1974 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I know its not for everybody, but I have been shooting a Fletcher Jim Dandy trigger release using back tension and it all but eliminated my target panic. I only wish I would have changed my shooting style long ago.

13. AJBowhunter

AJBowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It is a struggle that is for sure. I think the best things you can do is get a back tension release, assuming you shoot a wrist style. The best one out there in my opinion for learning how to execute a true surprise shot is the Carter Evolution Plus. It works with a push and pull action with your back shoulder muscles, really a fantastic release. Also, it would be a good idea to literally talk your self through your shot process. I would also try blank bailing too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am going to have to disagree with the OP going to a back tension release. If you've never shot one, its an animal you didn't ask for. The reasons, in my opinion are simple. If you do not 100% commit to learning how to use one, practicing with it and not stopping in the middle and giving up, it will make your TP worse in most cases. BT releases take a level of commitment that many are not willing to invest. I'm not talking about an hour or two here or there in the backyard. I'm talking about committing daily sessions to blind bale shooting with one for weeks and months. They are difficult to get the hang of and difficult to master. If your drawlength isn't correct, thats a whole other issue that gets involved. Also, they change your anchor point from a wrist style release. Almost everything about them is different in feel, etc.

Yes, I'll agree that they are the ultimate in surprise release and are the correct tool for the job... if you're willing to put the time into one. The Carter Evo, as mentioned above isn't a true back tension release. It can be shot much like one, but it still has a trigger. True back tension releases do not.

They are also pretty hard to get a handle on with heavy, hunting poundages as well. Most target shooters use BT, but they're only pulling 50lbs or so most often. All in all, I just feel that the average guy would be better suited to blind bale with their current release and work on form, release, etc. Then incorporate aiming drills until you put it all back together. Break down your shot sequence and work on each part of it.

But, I will say this. If you haven't punched yourself in the mouth drawing back with a back tension release and it lets go... you haven't really lived... :)

15. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    I use a check draw that can't release an arrow and also a Genesis bow.
    I can practice pulling back the bow with good form and also close my eyes and focus on task at hand. drawcheck.jpg genesis.jpg

16. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sorry, that made me laugh...

17. Aaron Jones

Aaron Jones Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Listen to everyone from above. ^^ Try those.
    Another thing that really helps me is, I take a breathe and relax. I draw back my bow ( aiming way over the top of the target with my finger no where close to the trigger. ) Then I slowly lower my pin into the spot that i am aiming for. When my pin hits where i am aiming for, I squeeze the trigger and give a smooth release. Make sure to not punch the trigger. I had to break myself of that habit.

I also found that if i focused more on the small dot that i was aiming for instead of solely on my pin, my pin would naturally float to where i was focusing on. when my pin would float over the top, i would easily release the arrow.
    hope it helps.

18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It also helps to look at peep site ring alignment rather than the pin once you have the pin on target.

19. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have had to deal with the TP phenomenon in the past. It has had me completely miss my block target at 20yrds! I got over it, but it can really mess with your head. lol It really is a mental thing. It gets down to you saying to yourself, "yes, I'm on my spot and I feel comfortable releasing now", instead of that crazy indecision (lack of confidence) that leads to a premature "punching" of the release.

20. jd4055

jd4055 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This exact same thing just happened to me a few months ago I fought it for weeks on end and it was frustrating but eventually you just settle down and it comes back to you. Keep your head up and just keep shooting, it welcome back. For some reason I can put the pin on the target and I would release just right under the target.