First Kill with PSE

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Jay, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Jay

Jay Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I was out in the yard grilling yesterday. I saw this squirrel come by here. In the state of GA, where I am located the rule is as long as the arrow doesn't leave your property it is perfectly legal.

At first I was going to take this squirrel, but a bird. A Eurasian Collard Dove, these bird are an invasive species. They can be shot with any weapon, day or night, in my area.

Well when I looking above the dove there was a squirrel. I let down my bow and figured the distance was arrow 20 yards. I kept my single sight pin set on 20 yards. I took aim. Making sure that the shot would be clean just as I had practiced. I released and the arrow impacted at the branch it was under. I took note, knowing that my release was clean. I also know after hunting squirrels for years that the tend to come back to the same spot(as long as the projectile is quiet).

I went and grabbed my arrow and went back in side. I came back out 5 minutes later and back he was sitting on the back same stick. I then re ranged my distance..figured it was closer to 25 yards. So I put my sight pin set on 25 yards and re drew my bow back. Took a clean shot...the squirrel took a hard hit. I was using the VPA 100 grain Small Game thumpers. So far after using many small game heads I like these the best. They are durable, affordable ($13.95), and consist. I weighed mine and they were with .5 grains.

Here are some pictures.

20150405_172922.jpg 20150405_172931.jpg 20150405_172910.jpg 20150405_172905.jpg

2. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice... I absolutely enjoy bustin' squirrels (and woodchucks) with archery equipment :bow:

3. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice shot. That would be illegal for me right now as the season is closed.

4. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice shooting, I have never considered shooting squirrels but I might in the future. Just because they over run my deer spot.

5. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  6. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Never heard the...as long as the arrow doesn't leave your property rule. ?? :confused:

7. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We got another outlaw posting pics again! Haha

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

8. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If I shot my bow in my yard here on long island(nassua county) ide have the cops, swat, esu, etc here in about a minute flat!! LOL. I`m jelous, great shot, thanks for sharing, keep em` coming!

9. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    In Wisconsin, I believe that landowners can hunt small game year round without a license.

10. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    holy crap!!! lots of damage to that thing!!! nice shot!

11. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    SWACK!!!!!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. L.C.B.H

L.C.B.H Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Good job.I have killed squirrels with my X-Force in the past.They taste great in stew.

13. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ssssssssssssswack! Pineapple anybody?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thats crazy Glenn!!! I have shot at a buddys house in Nassau, but it was all fenced in on all sides...and my place in Southampton I have targets all over the yard and a treestand i put up too that I shoot out of LOL I'd go crazy if I couldn't shoot in my own yard! Thinking about hunting from it a couple times next season lol...deer always hop our fence to get to our apple trees on the right side of our yard haha

Deer in Yard.jpg

OP, Nice shot man! Always fun hunting those little tree rats....squirrel wild rice ain't too bad either lol :tu:

15. Jay

Jay Newb

Dislikes Received:

Figured someone would bring this up. If squirrels are a nuisance and causing a problem to gardens or sheds they are legal to be taken without license and even if they arent in season. You guys arent the first to mention that...if you guys want prove of property damage I can show it without a problem. We even have those low pitch screeching noisy things in my yard.

16. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nassau county sucks bro, they will seize your bow and charge you with discharging a weapon in a populated area!! Sad really, plus a neighbor two houses down fights with the entire block so I dont trust him!!

17. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    LMAO sure OK

18. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We've got a season the end of next month for squirrels. We have a lot of big maple trees in my yard and when they start to drop the little helicopter things the squirrels flog 'em....and we flog the squirrels. I haven't tried the tip the OP is using but what I found works well is a field point with a couple of 7/16 washers behind it. NASTY holes and plenty of thump. I was using those judo points with the springy things on them and those were just blowing through squirrels.