When is the time to just "bow out"?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by virginiashadow, Apr 5, 2015.

1. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    There is so much stupid stuff going on in society that part of me just wants to bow out mentally. Im not old, just 40 years of age, but my mind just doesn't want any part of all the bullcrap. I feel like the world has hit warp speed and I dont want to catch, nor do I want to understand. I kind of feel like a sell out because I believe I could offer a lot if I just put in some effort. Sadly I have no desire. I also used to have a desire to never get set in my ways, always open to understanding other people, but that too is waning. I just want to be around somewhat like minded who believe in hard work and loyalty.

Any of you guys feel like this lately? My wife would never go for it but I am have been dreaming of the river bottoms of Montana and farmlands of Iowa a ton lately. Cannot get the thoughts of a simpler life out of my mind. Living in a county that is getting close to a half million people and surrounded by even larger counties, this is getting real old.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Every day... every day....

3. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Uh, yes. Our farm is quite possibly one of the most peacful places on earth this time of year. I go down every chance I get, and it seems like it's getting harder and harder to leave.

4. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like a mixture. I want access to the backcountry out my backdoor... but I don't necessarily want to become a hermit out in the middle of nowhere either.

5. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with you 1000%. I dream about it constantly. When this world/society goes to crap, out in the middle of no where is where you are going to want to be. I too yearn for the countryside and simple living. I am blessed to have a wife that wants the same thing I do. We both want to live Off The Grid. I am looking for the right land setup and locale everyday. I want a place where I can grow and raise my own food and hunt my own land. It is coming bro. Hang in there!

6. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hear ya brother. My perception is that the world is forgetting all about the simple life and completely happy with every thing is done for you and you don't care how just that its done. I don't get it. I mean my job is technology based and it keeps me and my family comfortable but I know how to grow my own food and process my own kill.

We can support change but it does not mean that we have to adopt it. I'll learn technology because it is the smart thing to do but I will still keep my simple ways and continue to learn the old ways things were done because we should never forget where we came from.

7. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Real soon for me. If my wife would go for it everything would be listed for sale this week and I would move way west. Streamline and semi retire....

8. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Sam,
    I live close to you. If you need a hand getting anything done just give PM me. I'll be glad to help out if I can. Well listen season comes back in then you know where I will be :tu:

9. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I feel like that everyday. I would move west in a heartbeat, but my wife will not. I am tired of all of the victimization in society and just want to surround myself with people who have a similar belief system as myself.

10. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hear ya. I'm a loner by nature, I'm happy and at peace when I'm out working in the field and can halfway forget about all the crap going on in the nation. I open the internet and get slapped in the face with multiple headlines on MSN like transgendered kids need access to both restrooms, etc...It makes me want to flip the bird to society.

I don't want to make any bad wishes that I might actually regret if they did come true but I sure don't care for much exposure to "modern culture". I'm about as far removed from it all as one can be in the middle of the nation and I don't regret being that way, I'd push it further if I could.

11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Best thing I ever did was go ahead with the purchase of my place in the middle of nowhere. I am blessed to live in an unincorporated township, yet only an hour away from the Cities. My half mile driveway is the gate to my refuge or sanctuary.

12. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I try to not let things that don't affect me get to me. I rather enjoy the life that a city provides. I also rather enjoy the life that the solitude of the country provides. The goal is to have both one day, but as for right now, I'll just use my parents house as my pseudo "camp" as they live quite remote and are almost completely off the grid. My Dad plans to install solar panels next year.

As for moving out west, me and the wife were close, like really close, to moving to Washington right before we found out she was pregnant. I imagine we will never move away further than a days drive (my Dad hates flying) now that we have our daughter.

13. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think the best thing I've done for this was dump TV service. I hardly ever go on MSN or the like either. Some might say it's sticking your head in the sand, but I believe that 98% of the stuff that's on the news is crap solely reported for ratings. I don't even think that things are that different now than the decades past, it's just that we see more of it.

I'll be thinning out my facebook herd soon too. Thats becoming as bad as the news...

Hang in there Brett. I personally love living in the sticks. :tu:

14. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Yupp!!

15. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You are correct.

The 24/7 news coverage and the internet giving everyone a voice, we are more exposed to the extremes of society and the vocal minority. They are not more prevalent these days, they just have a better platform to voice themselves.

16. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My closest neighbor is almost 3/4 a mile away and that's still too close. I would not trade my place in the country for anything in the city. I cannot stand the congestion, traffic and crowds of the city. 99% of the time it is totally quite around my place aside from some farm noise from the surrounding farms, and it's just the way I like it.

17. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not a day goes by where I don't imagine my family on a homestead, away from the city, away from the politics, away from all the noise. Day in and day out we live our lives working to make money and then spending it to get away from the very hustle and bustle that we endure to make the money. I've been infatuated with this lifestyle but I just don't know how to get there (existing home, initial startup money, where to buy land, have the money to buy said land). I've been learning a lot from a guy on YouTube who basically did exactly what I want to do. I highly recommend looking him up. His YouTube handle is thebossoftheswamp (the boss of the swamp).

18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The older you are the harder it gets if you have kids you have roots where you live and face it kids are expensive. When I found the place my wife and I wanted we loved the layout of the land and the barn. We had planned to bulldoze the house and build. 2 days after our offer was accepted found out my wife is pregnant. I have remodeled every room in the house but the house I wanted to bulldoze still stands.

19. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Within the next 9 months all of our vehicles will be paid off. Within about 2 years we should be break even with this house (thank you recession 2007-2008). Im looking at 3 years out. Been working an extra 30 hours a month or so of overtime trying to put some money away. All I can do is dream.

20. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Fewer than 9,000 people in my county. More cows than people. lol

That could be culture shock for you. But, I love it.