New to archery - Wanting a longbow or Recurve

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Isaac Symons, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Isaac Symons

Isaac Symons Newb

Dislikes Received:
    6ft tall with about a 30 in draw length. I've only ever shot my friends 50lb compound bow and it was pre easy to pull back. I'm from Australia so 2nd hand bows are rarer to find and all decent bows from the US are really expensive due to shipping. I'm thinking the Samick Journey at 45# would be a good bow for me to start training on and maybe by the end of the year start going for small game with. Is there any bow recommendations under the 2-300 mark, preferably a take down or a longbow above 62 inches which i heard is good for taller people!? Don't no much at all about the sport just my own research over the last few weeks.

2. TrackSoup

TrackSoup Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If your ultimate goal is to use it for hunting, why would you not consider a compound bow?

3. Isaac Symons

Isaac Symons Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Just prefer wood and string to be honest, im only 17 but i always go for old fashioned things

4. ms6852

ms6852 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I bought the Vista Sage at Cabelas. It is a takedown recurve bow with a 50# pull. I believe this is made by Sammick, a Korean based company. In my opinion for the price point this is a fantastic bow. I am new to archery too, about 8 days old.

My reason for buying recurve bow was more for physical therapy. I dislocated my shoulder, and I am using the bow as a rehabilitation tool. The 50# draw was a little heavy so I went to Amazon and ordered the 40# limbs for $74.95US. The bow itself from cabelas was $149.00US. It is a very well made bow.

I purchased the stalker extreme carbon arrows which are 32 inches long with the 100 grain target points. These arrows are amazing. I over shot my target because I accidentally shot it without a tip and it penetrated a 3/8" plywood backdrop at 30 yds without damage to the shaft using my 40# limbs.

I basically have two bows as the limbs are interchangeable and only paid $225.00US. I highly recommend Sammick. But I am no expert.