Such a disappointment

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by jrk_indle84, Apr 4, 2015.

1. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure if this needs to be somewhere else and if it does I guess move it. Should be on the rant thread but it's too long ha.

Well I just had a disappointing afternoon. All spring I've been looking for one set of sheds in particular, at this point any would do ha, but it's from a buck that stayed on the farm all last summer and during fall. Never actually got a good look in person bit several pics. Here's one of better ones, most during deer season were night time pics.

[​IMG]

So I'm out at my buddies, guy that owns farm I hunt, and we go to look at a job for work. Guy we talk to has a small shed in back of truck that he said he found today and my buddy precedes to tell him he found one a couple days ago that was alot bigger. So we continue to talk and finally get back in truck and I'm like "so where's this shed at?" Not really that I cared to have it but just wanted to see if it was a deer I knew. As I'm saying this I pull up the pic above to show him and explain that I've been looking for the sheds off that buck all year. While I'm doin that he tells me it's at home but he just threw it in the burn barrel and already burnt everything but it outta be there, maybe. At first I was like well damn. So we get back to his house and I go over to the burn barrel they have and look around some and right before I can ask where it was I see it. And sure enough it's the exact shed I've been looking for. Instant disappointment. Here's what's left, which still decent but judging by where he found it it would of still been in great condition had it not went through a fire.

[​IMG]

I cleaned it up some and it will get added to the collection I have but I'm still just shaking my head. Oh well I guess it is what it is. Asked my buddy why he threw it in there and he said "idk was first place I could throw it." So I told him if he finds any more at least save them until I take a look.

2. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    First time I've ever heard of anyone through a shed in a burn barrel. Sorry to hear you couldn't find it. At least, in the end, it's in your collection now, but....dang...is all I can say too.

3. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't understand. Why toss a shed in a burn barrel? If you don't want it why pick it up and carry it home in the first place?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  4. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's the shiittist shed hunting luck I have ever heard of.

5. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Very strange. Agree, it you don't want it leave it for the rodents. At least you know he's alive.

6. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've never heard of someone burning sheds...that sucks man, you'll just have to kill him this season to get the most recent pair.

7. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    For those asking he picked it up while seeding down some clover in a wheat field on a atv. Sheds are pretty hard on tractor tires. As for throwing it in burn barrel idk he's not all that into hunting and everything that goes into it.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  8. NantucketShedHunter

NantucketShedHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Are you looking for the other side?

9. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Yea I will be looking for the other side and anything else ha.

10. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well,at least he`s still alive!! Good luck finding the other side!!

11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    People tend to be amazed at the ignorance of others when they do not know what we know.:o

12. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's just a shed...

13. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    That is true

14. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Just to update, not that it's really breaking news, but the other day I was checking cameras and I found what I believe to be the other side of this shed. I looked through all the pics I have of this deer and surprisingly don't have any with a very good look at the right side. But I'm pretty sure this is the match. Kinda funny it's the only one I've found this year, not that I've hit it that hard but usually come up with a few more. Anyway here's a pic

[​IMG]

Still kind of unsure but it seems to be the match. Which would make it my first set I've come across, even though technically didn't find the one side ha.

15. Woods

Woods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I dunno that burnt one has more beam mass and tines are thicker, longer... hard to say but i'd say keep looking.

Edit. Oops just looked at the original pic and yeah it looks like him. Nice job on getting the set!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  16. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I thought your dissapointment was gonna be that the buck was found dead. Cheer up and put and arrow in him next season.

17. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Yea the title is actually kind of misleading, probably a little shocked and funny more than anything. But really looking at the overall picture it's really not that big of a deal. Now it's just something me and my buddy joke about.